The Cashier team member works in a fast-paced environment that involves constant interaction with customers. This position requires delivering friendly and courteous service while processing customer purchases efficiently and correctly. This role involves the operation of a computerized cash register.
Responsibilities and Tasks
· Smiles, make eye contact, greets and thanks customers (by name where possible).
· Directs customer to the location of requested items.
· Suggests value-added and related products to customers to ensure they get home with all they need.
· Ends the discussion with the customer using a closing statement (e.g., “Is there anything else I can do for you today?” “Did you find everything you were looking for?” “Thank you for shopping at Canadian Tire!”).
· Responds to and handles customer inquiries, requests and concerns in a timely manner, over the phone and in person.
· Handles multiple customers in an effective and efficient manner.
· Deals with challenging situations and conflict resolution in a professional manner.
· Operates cash register and all point of sales functions.
· Processes customer purchases efficiently, following standardized procedures.
· Accurately verifies merchandise quantities, descriptions and prices when processing customer purchases.
· Balances cash and is aware of amount of cash on hand.
· Maintains merchandise around the cash area and ensures that retail basics are executed efficiently (e.g., labels, facing, clean area, etc.).
· Takes returns to stock product in respective department.
· Reports stolen and damaged goods to Management.
· Alerts management to security problems.
· Alerts the respective department on any customer inquiry or concern.
· Shares opinions and ideas on how to improve store success.
· Participates in meetings and all training as required; listens to feedback to improve their own abilities.
· Complies with company, store and department policies.
· Abides by all health and safety programs and regulations. Reports any observed or potential hazards immediately.
· Uses professional language and maintains a professional appearance (e.g., uniform, hygiene, grooming and name tag) when interacting with others.
· Completes other tasks, as required.
· Basic math and typing skills.
· Ability to work efficiently with computerized systems.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision.
· Experience in a customer service role and/or with a Canadian Tire store is considered an asset.
· Ability to operate a cash register.
Required Skills and Abilities
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
· Strong orientation towards customer service excellence.
· Highly approachable, customer-oriented individual who thrives in offering exceptional service to customers.
· Strong belief in the Canadian Tire Values of honesty, integrity, and respect.
· Effective written and oral communication skills (probing, listening, etc.) and the ability to maintain professional communication, even in challenging situations.
· Ability to complete detail-oriented retail tasks according to instructions and to demonstrate responsibility for outcomes.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment that provides assistance and support to co-workers to achieve common goals.
· Ability to resolve retail and/or customer issues.
· Ability to multitask, adapt and cope with challenging and changing situations.
· Positive attitude, punctuality and solid work ethic.
Potential Career Opportunities
· Next levels: Customer Service Representative, Merchandiser, Cashier Supervisor, and Department Manager.
· Other retail, customer service and management opportunities in a large network of more than 485 Canadian Tire stores across the country.
· Career opportunities across the larger Canadian Tire family (Canadian Tire Petroleum, PartSource, Mark’s, FGL Sports Ltd, Canadian Tire Corporation Limited, and Canadian Tire Financial Services).
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
In compliance with the store’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures:
· Standing/walking for 8 hours.
· Lifting and/or carrying of merchandise items, as required, on a regular, frequent and unassisted basis. Merchandise item may vary in weight from “light” to “heavy”.
· Lifting and turning repeatedly throughout the shift.
· Lifting above the shoulder, from floor to shoulder and floor to waist.
· Ability to go up and down a ladder and stairs while carrying merchandise.
· Walking and carrying things at the same time and pushing/pulling, as required.
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time
Part-time hours: 20-30 per week
Salary: From $15.50 per hour
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
- 4 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Afternoon shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ancaster, ON L9G 3K9: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Customer service: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person