Posted: Friday, August 4, 2023
Job Number: RCSPT-23-18
Job Type: Casual Part-time, Non-Union
Position Closing Date: Sunday, December 31, 2023*
- The City of Barrie is accepting applications for current and future casual part-time Recreation Client Service Representative vacancies. As positions become available, we will review applications and contact selected candidates for an interview.
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
Recreation and Culture Services builds vibrant, healthy, active and connected communities by providing facilities and programs that give all Barrie residents an opportunity to participate in recreational activities. Key responsibilities include identifying community recreation needs and interests, developing and delivering recreation opportunities which meet these needs and interests, maintaining and operating recreational and cultural facilities to provide a setting for these activities, and managing the provision of space to external community providers and groups.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Supervisor of Recreation Client Services, the Recreation Client Services Representative (PT) position is responsible for providing front-line support to visitors and staff of the City of Barrie’s Recreation Centres. Specifically, this position acts as a first point of contact at the Recreation Centre Client Services Desk and performs various customer service duties including welcoming visitors, providing direction and information, and responding to or redirecting inquiries, questions, and complaints regarding recreation programs and facilities, current events, facility rentals and City-wide programs and services. Overall, this position plays an integral role in the delivery of consistent, timely, and efficient customer service to internal and external customers of the City’s Recreation Centres in order to meet or exceed customer expectations.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Secondary School Diploma
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level C Certifications
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification within three (3) months of hire
- Two (2) years of cumulative part-time experience or one (1) year of full-time experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities in a recreation and/or customer service work environment
- Demonstrated ability to
- maintain a high standard of public relations at all times
- perform in a manner which is consistent with corporate goals, vision, mission, and values
- resolve customer issues in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Basic interpersonal, verbal communication, written communication, and customer service skills
- Intermediate computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, and Word)
- Availability to work weekdays, evenings, weekends and holidays
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check*
- Please note that this is a requirement of the position for any new employees to the City of Barrie in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure. Existing employees may be grandparented from this requirement in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure.
Other Important Information
Wage: This is a casual part-time non-union position with the following 2023 pay range:
- Hourly Pay Rate: $19.81 to $25.62 per hour
Hours: The normal hours of work are up to and including 24 hours per week with a varying schedule to support business demand.
Location: Allandale Recreation Centre (190 Bayview Drive, Barrie), East Bayfield Community Centre (80 Livingstone Street East, Barrie), Peggy Hill Team Community Centre (171 Mapleton Avenue, Barrie).
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: A
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing [email protected].
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.