About LGL Limited
Founded in 1971, LGL Limited is an employee-owned environmental research and consulting firm serving clients in Canada, the United States, and internationally. LGL’s client base spans industry, government, Indigenous groups, public corporations, academia, and non-governmental organizations. We have over 100 professionals on staff including freshwater and marine biologists, water resource specialists, wildlife biologists, botanists, certified arborists, environmental planners, biostatisticians, and computer database/GIS specialists. Our body of work, including peer-reviewed scientific publications, demonstrates our scientific competence in the field and office, our ability to evaluate the environmental impacts of human activities, provide evidence-based decisions, advance scientific knowledge, and satisfy or exceed the requirements of our clients and regulators.
About the Role
LGL is seeking a business-minded terrestrial biologist who can develop business, manage projects, and provide technical expertise. The ideal candidate has extensive knowledge and experience in the application of ecological principles and practices primarily in Newfoundland and Labrador’s regulatory framework. This individual will also have demonstrated understanding of disciplines outside of ecology (e.g., hydrology, planning) and the importance of their integration for effective project delivery. To succeed in this position, you must be highly motivated, flexible, and committed to providing impeccable service to colleagues and clients in a competitive, fast-paced, and ever-changing industry. LGL supports opportunities for career advancement and professional growth, including opportunities to work on other LGL projects in Canada and the U.S.
What you will do
- Support existing clients of LGL and develop new opportunities with existing or new clients, particularly in the expanding resource/green energy sector in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Apply ecological principles and practices to protect and manage natural resources under federal, provincial, and territorial regulatory and policy frameworks in Canada.
- Lead environmental effects monitoring programs, environmental assessments, Species at Risk assessments, vegetation surveys, bird surveys, and wetland assessments.
- Conduct project work to standards expected of the profession.
- Lead and assist with proposals and project reporting.
- Travel to initiate and complete fieldwork either in a managerial role or lead technical specialist.
- Contribute to peer-reviewed publications and presentations at relevant scientific and industry conferences.
- Provide mentorship support.
What you will bring
- Master of Science or Doctorate in a relevant field of ecology.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional work experience, including consulting in an ecological field.
- Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Experience developing and/or conducting technical reviews of environmental monitoring programs, research study designs, regulatory permitting, and environmental assessments.
- Competence with field equipment and logistics.
- An aptitude for project management of multiple and challenging projects, including budgets, schedules, deliverables, staff resources and client expectations.
- Positive attitude and flexibility.
- Willingness to work in challenging environments.
What we provide
- Competitive salary plus potential for profit sharing and ownership.
- Extended healthcare benefits, including long-term disability coverage.
- A progressive vacation policy.
- Contributions towards an RRSP and professional certifications.
- Career growth through mentorship, structured and informal professional development, and peer relationships.
- A safe and respectful workplace with an emphasis on work-life balance.
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s record.
- This position is based in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador as an in-office role with opportunity for a hybrid working model.
If this dynamic opportunity within a successful, well-respected, and growing organization sounds like a great fit for you, please apply with your resume and cover letter.
Resume screening will commence on September 22nd so do not delay applying. We look forward to connecting with you!
If you require accommodation in the recruitment process or have questions, please let us know by contacting us at [email protected].
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $85,000.00-$110,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
Work Location: In person