Who we are
At OnDeck we’re building a better future for the world's oceans. We do this by building world-leading AI research into world-changing products. Backed by organizations such as the Environmental Defense Fund, Ocean Wise, and industry, we stand at the forefront of AI for conservation and marine resources.
Our team of exceptionally talented engineers and industry experts thrive in fast-paced, innovative environments. We are continuously pushing the boundaries of what is possible, developing cutting-edge marine conservation tools that genuinely change the course of the world's fisheries.
We are seeking standout team players who want to use their skills to make a dent in the universe. If you love tackling complex challenges, and you’re keen to scale with a startup reaching new heights, apply below.
What you’ll be doing:
You will have significant ownership over mission-critical development, propelling us towards our goal of being the first to market at scale. In your role as Machine Learning Engineer:
- You will be working at the forefront of artificial intelligence for ocean conservation, working towards the development of state-of-the-art machine learning models and advanced computer vision techniques.
- You will take ownership of the entire ML lifecycle, from conducting research and developing innovative models to deploying them in production environments.
- You will work on a pipeline that automatically transitions models from research to production, where it will be handling large volumes of video footage while undergoing updates smoothly.
- Your responsibilities will encompass researching, implementing, optimizing, and deploying these innovative models for various tasks, including object detection, species classification, and object tracking.
- Bachelor’s, Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field
- Previous work experience in applied research or ML engineering for production environments
- Experience in machine learning, computer vision, serving ML models, cloud/edge development, optimizing model performance, Unix/Linux environments, distributed and parallel systems, and data engineering
- Proficiency with PyTorch, TensorFlow, and other modern machine learning frameworks/tools
- Strong technical communication skills in English, both written and verbal
- Enthusiasm for building software that revolutionizes fisheries monitoring and research
- Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years of full-time, non-internship work experience, especially in high-impact roles in smaller organizations
- Proficiency with MLOps and AWS infrastructure or equivalent (e.g. EC2, SageMaker)
- Experience in setting up and using CI/CD tools (e.g., GitHub Actions, AWS CodePipeline, Google CloudBuild)
- Knowledge of containerization and orchestration for large-scale deployment (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Up-to-date knowledge of the state of the art in deep computer vision research
- Contributions to research in deep learning computer vision applications, and/or demonstrated ability to implement novel machine learning literature
- Ability to develop accessible technologies
- Willingness and aptitude to learn additional technologies and frameworks as needed
Join us today and become part of our dynamic team, where your passion and skills in machine learning and computer vision will be leveraged to tackle critical challenges facing our oceans.
OnDeck is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via [email protected].
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00-$120,000.00 per year
- In 1-2 sentences, why do you think you're a good fit for this role?
- Any comments or notes you would like to share with the team?
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V6E 1A7