Scope of Position
Reporting to the Manager IT Operations, the Network & Security Administrator is responsible for the installation, and maintenance of all network and security components. This includes analyzing, installing, configuring, maintaining, repairing, and providing technical support on related devices, servers, appliances, and applications.
This includes reviewing current developed process and procedures for ongoing management and maintenance of Alterna’s network & security environment.
- Participate in strategies for network/security implementations; architect the infrastructure required to support those strategies
- Participate in key process improvements as they relate to the network/security environment and collaborate with other team members as required, in order to ensure high availability, reliability, security and scalability of corporate systems to meet business demands
- Contribute to the establishment and implementation of policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure security
- Implement and maintain solutions
- Conduct scheduled maintenance activities
- Contribute to projects and program components as assigned, to deliver services in accordance with established objectives
- Respond to inquiries from staff, administrators, service providers, site personnel and outside vendors etc. to provide technical assistance and support
- Troubleshoot complex technical issues through to resolution. This includes working with vendors to resolve complex network problems
- Provide on-call support and participate in on-call rotation
- Participate in the documentation of systems and support processes
- Respond to escalations in a timely manner
- Work as a team member with other technical staff to ensure connectivity and compatibility between systems
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed by the network
- Document network problems and resolutions for future reference
- Check Service desk database for Service desk tickets - prioritize and respond to service desk tickets as appropriate
- Monitor and test system performance, provide performance statistics and reports and make recommendations for improvements as required
- Support the management of enterprise directory services and supporting infrastructure.
- Recommend and execute modifications in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Adhere to procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring systems
- Maintain, troubleshoot, repair and administer local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- Minimum 3 years experience in a similar role
- University degree in the field of Networks, Information Technology and/or Computer Science.
- Formal working experience with Meraki, Cisco, VoIP, FortiNet, FortiNAC or other relevant combinations with hands on experience Preferred Certifications such as Security+, CCNP, CCNA or in the works of getting these certifications.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience with multiple routing protocols BGP, EIGRP.
- Experience with VPN Tunnels, SSL, SNMP, VLAN, QoS.
- Experience with network device management Experience with SolarWinds
- Good written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to schedule activities and meetings, gather and collate data.
- Flexibility to independently work with others in variety of circumstances.
- Ability to set and follow priorities.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Conveying technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Adept at conducting research.
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Customer service skills an asset.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects.
- Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management.
- On-Call on weekly rotation
Working at Alterna
Alterna offers a fast-paced, impactful work experience in an organization that cares about doing good. For over 110 years, Alterna has been creating financial services that transform lives for the better, all while giving back to our community.
We are incredibly proud of our corporate culture, where everyone works together towards a common goal, the financial wellbeing of our members and customers. This commitment has earned us several prestigious employer awards, including the National Capital Region's Top Employers award for seven years running.
- Although we appreciate all applicants, preference will be given to candidates who most closely meet the qualifications, key skills, and competencies outlined above.
- Alterna is compliant with the Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you have a disability, please contact the recruiter to let us know how we can accommodate you