Senior Software Engineer
Location: Montreal, Quebec (Hybrid)
VIA is making an impact, and so can you.
VIA’s mission is to make communities cleaner, safer, and more equitable by using AI and Web3 technologies. Using its Web3 platform, VIA enables real-time data verification, automated ingestion, and privacy-preserving analysis across multiple private data sources including energy and environmental data. The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), Fortune 50 companies, and energy providers around the globe trust VIA to help them solve their toughest data privacy challenges.
As a Senior Software Engineer at VIA, you will play an integral role in the design and development of our advanced analytics and data privacy solutions. You will build on our Web3 stack that encompasses blockchain, cryptographic wallets, and zero-knowledge proofs. Prior development experience in this stack is not required, but a strong interest in Web3 technologies, foundational knowledge of cryptography, and proficient math skills are essential for success.
In this role, you will:
Provide technical expertise on privacy and security to support the delivery of customer projects
- Design and build secure, reliable, and scalable microservice components
- Leverage the Web3 components of VIA’s platform to provide privacy-preserving functionality to our customers
- Exhibit the ability to quickly grasp new technical concepts and effectively apply that knowledge to address challenges and drive innovative solutions
- Utilize the latest advancements in privacy, cryptography, and distributed systems to create cutting-edge products that precisely cater to customer needs
- Develop automated tests to deliver high quality software to our customers (e.g., unit test, integration test, or related libraries)
- Integrate and deploy microservices by using best practices and automation tools (e.g., Docker or Ansible)
- Analyze, test, and optimize critical software modules to mitigate performance bottlenecks
- Proficiency in documentation and the desire to clearly communicate technical processes to both non-technical and technical audiences.
What you will bring to this role:
Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or science
- 5+ years of relevant full stack development experience
- Strong experience with cloud-based software development in a microservices environment and cryptography techniques, including:
- Developing Restful APIs (using frameworks such as FastAPI) secured by OAuth2/Auth
- Integrating asymmetric and/or symmetric encryption in applications
- Thorough working knowledge of data structure, algorithms, databases (SQL and noSQL), and in-memory data storage
- Working knowledge of Docker
- Extensive knowledge of parallel processing, message brokers, and distributed task queues
- Experience leading an Agile team of developers with:
- Proven on-time delivery of multiple quality software projects
- Ability to advocate for technical excellence, maintaining the highest standard of software engineering practices
- Exposure to the following a plus: GitHub Actions, blockchain systems, zero-knowledge proofs
To have a high impact at VIA, you will:
Be a critical thinker with a passion for solving complex problems alongside teammates
- Have a desire to learn in a high-energy environment
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail and apply follow-up and organizational skills
- Be a great communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Be a part of a team that will transform the energy industry using groundbreaking technology and innovative solutions
- Be passionate about the benefits of using tools such as AI to increase work productivity
- Enjoy sharing your passions, as a foodie, a lover of video games, a fan of pets, or having a good GIF game (doesn’t hurt either!)
What you will find at VIA:
A competitive, total rewards package that includes equity, an environment that cares about your learning and development, flexible working arrangements, and a culture of celebrating our collective diversity, are just a few of the things that make every day rewarding!
Read about our perks and benefits here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.