Location: New Mental Health and Addictions Facility
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER (Repost)
Temporary, Full-Time (until March 2025 with possibility of extension)
70 hours bi-weekly (7-hour days)
HL-20 ($67,978 - $88,372 per annum)
28 November 2023
8 December 2023
Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services (NL Health Services) brings together five former separate health entities - Eastern Health, Central Health, Western Health, Labrador-Grenfell Health, and the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information. The creation of a provincial health authority was announced following recommendations from Health Accord NL.
NL Health Services is responsible for delivering health and community services to more than 528,000 people living in Newfoundland and Labrador and employs over 21,000 people. NLHealthServices.ca
The communications manager provides strategic communications advice and support in support of the organization's vision and has experience leading communications for large-scale projects, advising senior leaders; managing complex communications initiatives; and organizing media and public events. The manager initiates, researches, develops, executes, manages and evaluates communications plans and strategies for a range of projects, issues, events and other initiatives. This position will work closely with program leads to provide communications advice and support for a large-scale project and develop and execute a communications plan to inform stakeholders and other internal and external audiences at various stages of project development.
The communications manager is an expert writer who has the ability to grasp complex medical and technical information and communicate it in an easy-to-understand manner. The role requires the ability to seek opportunities to advise on communications approaches for emerging issues, proactively promote the organization's positive stories, write compelling materials for print and electronic media, including news releases, speeches, video and other communications materials. The successful candidate must also have the technical aptitude to post content to social media platforms, the corporate website and Intranet. The manager works collaboratively to manage communications for a range of corporate initiatives; partner on joint communications initiatives; and participate on committees to advance communications objectives.
This manager reports to the executive lead for communications and works closely with other members of the communications department. The manager also works closely onsite with the project lead and committee to proactively manage communications for all aspects the project.
The communications manager will lead all aspects of the project including:
- Provide strategic communications advice and lead all aspects of communications for the project as well as associated corporate/joint events and other initiatives.
- Participate as an active member of relevant committees, including project-specific and change management teams.
- Develop and execute communications and roll-out plans to communicate timely information to stakeholders, including and internal communications strategy targeted to physicians, managers, staff, families, clients and others.
- Provide ongoing communication in a timely, consistent, transparent way to staff/physicians, the public, and other target audiences.
- Introduce mechanisms to collect and monitor the effectiveness of communications, and take action to adjust plans as required.
- Seek opportunities to proactively promote the project's positive stories.
- Develop, write and edit a variety of creative communications materials, including news releases, reports, newsletters, speeches, presentation decks, social media for various intended audiences.
- Lead digital communications requirements for the project including managing social media presence, developing content for the website, Intranet and other corporate platforms.
- Conduct stakeholder research and analysis to ensure all relevant stakeholders are communicated to and engaged throughout a project's lifecycle.
- Provide advice on communications best practices for change management activities which includes reviewing change management materials (e.g. training documents, information sheets, etc.) to ensure consistent look and feel, corporate messaging, copy and tone while ensuring that change management activities and initiatives align with overall corporate communication objectives.
- Adhere to organizational policies while aligning communications to support the organization's goals and strategic objectives. This includes ensuring that brand standards and guidelines are consistently applied on communications materials.
- Responsible for media relations activities associated with the projects by preparing spokespeople, writing statements, sharing stories through proactive media outreach, media monitoring.
- Work collaboratively with other relevant program areas and stakeholders.
The manager must be self-motivated and have the ability to lead work independently, multi-task, work efficiently in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and timelines, and adapt to changing needs.
Successful completion of a bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism or communications is required.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the communications or public relations field is required.
Experience providing strategic communications advice to senior leaders.
Experience writing content for and posting to a variety of corporate digital platforms.
Experience managing large-scale communications projects and events and working with partners on joint communications initiatives.
Experience working with confidential information and a commitment to and knowledge of the principles of privacy, confidentiality and access.
Considerable project management experience is required.
Experience working in a health-care system and/or change management would be preferred.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
Strong ability to think strategically and write, edit and deliver a range of professional communications materials across different channels, tailored to specific audiences.
Ability to grasp complex medical and technical information and communicate it in an easy-to-understand manner for specific audiences.
Superior interpersonal and consultation skills combined with the ability to build strong partnerships.
Considerable experience in media relations, issues management, event management and social media is required.
Ability to lead work independently, multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and meet tight deadlines while adapting to changing needs.
Ability to use various communications strategies/tools to communicate to internal audiences in a large health-care organization.
Strong organizational, planning and time management skills.
Ability to establish positive and productive working relationships with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders.
Ability to write compelling materials for print, website, digital and social media, as well as the technical aptitude to manipulate and post content to digital and social media platforms.
Ability to write for, and produce videos, would be considered an asset.
The manager acts with integrity, possesses good judgement and exemplifies corporate values.
A satisfactory record of work performance and attendance is required.
The manager should have the ability to work on site and virtual, as required, travel to other sites on short notice, and work outside of regular working hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.), as required.