Are you curious about how technology and processes drive business and innovation? You don’t need to have a technical background to grow into the IT world. If you are motivated by connecting with others and leading change this is an opportunity to spread your wings in a new, diverse, and critical position within a fast-paced environment. To be successful you will need to live and breathe detail. We are seeking aptitude and passion to learn, grow and contribute.
We are looking for a Business Analyst to join our Business Solutions Group in Halifax, NS. As the most modern shipyard in North America, Irving Shipyard is defined by its pace and appetite for change. This will mean jumping right in, taking ownership, and leading the charge even if the way forward isn’t always clear. If you’re naturally curious, motivated by a fast-moving environment and looking to drive new solutions this is an opportunity for you. Discover, synthesize, and analyze information from a variety of sources within JDI enterprise.
Responsibilities will include eliciting and documenting the actual needs of stakeholders—which frequently involves investigating and clarifying their expressed desires—to determine underlying business requirements.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
A day in the life:
Every day is an exciting day working with both business and IT professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on both small and large projects, new technologies, and learn business best practices. You are seen as the liaison between IT and the business for challenges and opportunities while working in a team environment to provide appropriate solutions.
- As part of the JD Irving IT Team, you will enable the JD Irving group of businesses to achieve their business goals by leveraging technology
- Understanding key business data and quality
- Performing requirements elicitation & documentation
- Building use cases (definition and development) and developing test cases
- Documenting business processes
- Understanding capability of analytics tools and enabling business to act from analytical insight
- Managing integrity, confidentiality, and security of all datasets
- Understanding the risk tolerance/profile of the business
- Collaborating with design and architecture
- Translating business process model to technical realization
- A University Degree in a related discipline
- 3 years’ work experience in a business environment, preferably IT
- Experienced in Microsoft Technologies; particularly in Office 365
- Customer focused: motivated by inspiring others to do things differently
- Technically inclined, process oriented and driven by a natural curiosity
- Happy in an environment where you can work independently as well as collaboratively
- A continuous learner: acquiring new skills and software applications is second nature
- At home in a fast-paced work environment where solutions are not always clearly defined
- A practiced communicator with strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Organized, analytical and business savvy
- Business Process Modeling
- Entry Certification in Business Analysis (ECBA)
- Lean Six Sigma Methodologies
- Agile methodology for project management
JDI IT: Who we are and what we offer
The belief that what people experience matters more than technology is part of our foundational core. We also believe that our ability as a team grows exponentially when we share success. These centering values – some of our non-negotiables - guide our decisions and inform how we show up daily. Join a team that aims to simply the path forward and inspire commitment.
With over 300 employees centralized in Saint John, Fredericton, Dieppe and Halifax, we offer the opportunity to create real value by helping people and businesses work smarter. JDI IT supports the entire J.D. Irving Limited group of companies which means we offer opportunities and experiences across a wide breadth of IT areas, businesses and industries. As a member of the JDI IT team, you will be a key player in enabling the business to win by overcoming obstacles and “getting it done”!
We believe in the power of diverse teams and invest in continuous professional growth. We are seeking naturally curious changemakers looking to join a collaborative and motivated team. Come help JDI IT Raise the Bar!
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
J.D. Irving, Limited is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.