SEM is a Newfoundland and Labrador-based multi-disciplinary consulting firm that has proudly served many clients in the mining and utility industries, all levels of government, and a diversity of others over the past 21 years. SEM offers Environmental, GIS / Remote Sensing services, Provision of Professional Resources, and Multimedia (video + VR and training) services.
SEM is currently seeking a full-time Environmental Specialist to be based out of our St. John’s, NL office. The Environmental Specialist will work alongside team members on small to large scale environmental projects, spanning from baseline studies to monitoring and assessing environmental impacts, based on the responsibilities listed below. We are in search of an enthusiastic individual with a passion for the environment, who is looking to join a tight-knit group of professionals dedicated to fulfilling our clients’ project needs. Experience in environmental consulting is an asset but not a requirement.
- Desktop reviews of scientific literature as well as environmental and regulatory framework
- Support planning of environmental activities and preparation of permits
- Participation in planning and execution of baseline studies, with opportunity to participate in associated field work
- Environmental data organization and analysis; statistical analysis experience considered an asset.
- Environmental effect assessments of proposed projects, including identification of effects, evaluation of significance and development of mitigation measures.
- Technical report writing in a wide range of environmental specialities including, but not limited to, noise, air, ecology, aquatic biology; interest to learn and perform tasks outside of area of skills and studies considered an asset.
- Interest in modelling and simulation exercises; previous experience considered an asset.
- Collaborate with a team of subject matter experts to deliver high-quality environmental services to meet deadlines.
- Post-secondary education in Environment, Ecology, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Policy, or related field of study
- 1-5 years of relevant experience
- Writing experience is a must and a writing sample will be required if selected for an interview;
- Strong computer skills, experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is required;
- Willingness to work independently as well as in a team environment;
- A keen learner with organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Positive attitude with strong communication and problem solving skills.
Please provide your resume if you feel your skills would benefit our company. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
SEM Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to the communities in which we work, and our culture revolves around inclusivity, engagement, and achieving our goals for clients and their communities. SEM thanks all applicants for your interest in joining the team, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- On-site parking
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- St. John'S, NL A1B 4N2: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Environmental: 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person