Vancouver Mural Festival is an independent, non-profit arts organization dedicated to artistic and cultural development in the city of Vancouver. We create experiences that connect people through art.
As a team, we strive to cultivate community through partnerships and undertake innovative projects that continue to challenge the status quo of public spaces and who gets to be seen, heard and celebrated in them. We support hundreds of artists and performers annually, many of whom are selected through guest curatorial programs that seek to grow and professionalize not only individual art practices, but the sector as a whole. As an organization, we continue to strive to ensure that our staff and contractors also reflect historically underserved communities; and enshrine diversity, accessibility, collaboration, curiosity and world class production in our values.
We’re currently seeking a Project Manager & Associate Curator.
The Project Manager & Associate Curator is an integral role in stewarding the lifecycle of core VMF Agency creative projects, the flagship summer festival - Vancouver Mural Festival, and other smaller strategic initiatives as required. You will be responsible to work with clients and artists for scoping, planning, overseeing, and leading mural projects, from ideation through to completion. This managerial role will liaise with a range of internal and external stakeholders, managing several projects simultaneously, and collaborate closely with the Technical Team and other Curators.
As Project Manager & Associate Curator at VMF, you’ll impact the organization by:
- Work with clients, artists and other professionals to determine the scope, budget, sites, and timelines of 40+ mural projects per year.
- Using your project management skills and keen eye for detail, ensuring all budget, proposals, communications, and parts of a project are delivered at the highest caliber.
- Maintaining a high standard of stakeholder relations.
- Seeing the timely sign-off on contract agreements, permissions, payables, post-sales administration and reporting to clients.
- In consultation with the Creative Director (CD), provide expertise and perform analysis necessary to contribute to the development of annual budgets, revenue goals and strategic plans.
- Collaborate with CD, Lead Curator and Guest Curators to steward artist applications and selections.
- Manage artist onboarding, communications and overall care.
- Successfully manage 40+ public art projects annually.
- Using organizational tools and templates, produce estimates and decks for client proposals.
- Manage timelines and teams needed for a project to run successfully and smoothly in close collaboration with the Technical team.
- Report timely on project revenues, successes, and challenges internally and to the client.
- Maintain excellent client relationships, and maintain the organization project & database management software updated with all current and pending projects.
- Manage communication between a range of project stakeholders such as artists, property owners, businesses, BIAs and sponsors.
- Support the CD in prospecting and seeking new projects and clients.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team and other colleagues to disseminate opportunities and showcase the artwork
- Authentically represent VMF’s vision, mission, and values with artists, clients and stakeholders.
- Maintain, templates, budgets, reports and all other administrative assets as required.
- Participate in regular team meetings.
- Work in collaboration with other internal departments, as well as external contractors.
- Travel as required.
- Other duties as required.
To accomplish the tasks of this role, you will possess a mix of these skills and traits:
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with clients and artists in arts project management, art advising, or curatorial roles preferably in site-specific public art or similar
- Bachelor’s degree in related areas of study (e.g. visual arts, project management, design, etc.), Master’s preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; capability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Solid knowledge and passion for public art
- Excellent problem-solving and negotiation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively (both written and verbal) for internal purposes and with partners/communities
- Flexibility to work on-site and flexible hours during peak times
- Not forget to have fun
HOW TO APPLY
At VMF, we welcome all passionate and curious applicants to explore opportunities with us. If you don’t tick all the boxes, please don’t let this stop you from applying. Send us your cover letter and resume with the subject “Project Manager and Associate Curator” to [email protected]. We’ll review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Your application will be acknowledged upon receipt, though due to volume, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
VMF recognizes that its events and murals take place on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ / sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Vancouver Mural Festival is the DBA name of Create Vancouver Society, a registered BC Non-Profit.
Create Vancouver Society is open to applicants of all races, ethnicities, identities, abilities, ages, and genders, and the organization is keen to review applicants who self-identify as members of groups that are underrepresented.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $62,000.00-$68,000.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC V5Y 3E6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Project management: 3 years (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V5Y 3E6
Expected start date: 2023-09-05