Job ID: 6626
Working Business Language: English
We’re proud to give our employees the flexibility to choose how and where they want to work. In this role, you can decide whether your preference is to work from home (remote), work from the office or a hybrid of time spent at both. You may work from any of the following locations: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador and/or the Yukon.
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, founded in 1896, is one of Canada’s largest mutual insurers, with over $4 billion in annual revenue and assets of $12 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon; Wawanesa Life, which provides life insurance products and services throughout Canada; and Western Financial Group, which distributes personal and business insurance across Canada. Wawanesa proudly serves more than two million members in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy. Learn more at wawanesa.com
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience and advancement on a growing team.
Working under minimal supervision, this role as an Application Developer (II or Senior) will be part of our Digital Delivery Canadian Application Development team and contribute to Wawanesa’s success by maintaining, supporting, and enhancing our web-based application used by our broker network.
The Digital Delivery applications team focuses on applications that provide functionality externally. In addition to externally focused application delivery, the team also provides support for Wawanesa's digital strategy.
- Design, develop, and test software.
- Write automated test cases.
- Collaborate with solutions analysts to prepare technical specifications from requirements.
- Ensure successful completion of developer assignments by estimating and tracking progress of assigned work.
- Maintain the operation of business systems and applications.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve application incidents.
- Participate in planning activities.
- Create and update relevant documentation.
- Improve upon and ensure the adherence to the established practices, processes, and guidelines.
- Keep current with relevant technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Combination of completed post-secondary degree or diploma in software development or related academic and 2 to 4 years practical experience performing an application development role building software using current programming languages and working with relational database systems and structure query languages.
- Detail oriented with analytical and problem-solving skills to recognize and identify issues and take proper action to resolve them.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with style fitting for the audience and message.
- Strong planning and organizing skills, with the ability to develop and implement plans by prioritizing and multi-tasking.
- Effective decision-making skills, with the ability to direct team members to achieve goals through clear instruction.
- Experience using software development tools, such as JIRA, Confluence, Source Code Management and TeamCity is considered an asset.
- Experience with any of the following technologies is considered an asset:
- software development tools such as JIRA, Confluence, AWS CodeCommit, Bitbucket, and Jenkins
- web services / APIs such as SOAP, JSON, REST
- monitoring tools such as Splunk, AppDynamics and DataDog
- MuleSoft or enterprise integration software
- Unix; Windows; Oracle; Microsoft SQL Server
- Guidewire Insurance Suite and/or Guidewire Digital Portals
- Certifications in relevant technology or processes is considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in Insurance industry is considered an asset.
Wawanesa is proud to be one of Manitoba's Top Employers for 2023 recognizing that we are an exceptional place to work!
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our full-time permanent employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, annual bonus plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
Wawanesa is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is equitable and inclusive for all. Wawanesa provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s protected status: race/ethnicity, colour, religion, creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family or marital status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected status. Accommodations are available upon request throughout all aspects of the selection process. Candidates requiring accommodations may contact, in confidence, [email protected].
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.