At Journal Technologies, we believe our technology can be a force for good in the world ensuring the proper and efficient functioning of some of the most foundational aspects of society - the courts and justice system.
We create and implement enterprise software that supports the administration of justice, currently in the United States, Canada, and Australia. While our eSeries product suite enables governments and their employees to deliver continued foundational court processes, our R&D focuses on leveraging emerging possibilities with technology to improve access and efficiency.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, Journal Technologies is a long-time, wholly-owned subsidiary of Daily Journal Corporation (NASDAQ: DJCO). We also have a major office in Logan, Utah, a team in Melbourne, Australia, and a growing number of remote staff across North America and the world.
Under our next generation of leadership, we're implementing a new vision for the company that prioritizes building an extraordinary workplace with empowered people at the heart of our business. Great people want to collaborate with great people, and we are actively looking for smart, motivated people who care deeply about the work they do.
Senior Full Stack Developer
Journal Technologies is looking for a Senior Full Stack Developer to produce scalable software solutions. As a Senior Full Stack Developer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining web applications and systems. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality software solutions, provide technical leadership, and mentor junior developers.
- Design and implement server-side logic, APIs, and databases using technologies like Node.js, Python (Django/Flask), Ruby on Rails, Java (Spring), or others.
- Design, develop, and maintain microservices that are modular, scalable, and independent. Ensure effective communication between services using protocols like REST or gRPC, and manage service orchestration.
- Utilize ORM technologies like Hibernate for mapping classes to database tables, and data types to SQL data types. Ensure efficient and maintainable persistence layer implementations.
- Optimize database queries and maintain database schemas (SQL or NoSQL) for data storage and retrieval.
- Write unit tests and conduct thorough testing to ensure the quality and reliability of software applications.
- Participate in code reviews to maintain code quality and ensure best practices.
- Document code, processes, and system designs for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Identify and resolve technical issues and bugs as they arise.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and other developers, to understand requirements and deliver solutions.
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior developers, assist with their growth, and help them solve technical challenges.
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies to continuously improve skills and contribute to technical innovation within the company.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer, with a strong portfolio of completed projects.
- Proficiency in front-end and back-end technologies and relevant frameworks.
- Strong knowledge of database design and management (SQL and/or NoSQL).
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., Git).
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Leadership and mentoring abilities.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies is a plus.
- Certifications in relevant technologies may be advantageous.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties; additional responsibilities may be assigned.
Reports to: CTO - Joseph Jezerinac
Location: Remote Canada or US
Why Journal Technologies?
Visit www.journaltech.com/careers for more information, but highlights include:
- Competitive compensation based on skills, experience, and years of service.
- Quality medical, dental and vision(US only)) coverage.
- Competitive paid time off as well as paid holiday time.
- 401(k) retirement program in the US, GRRSP in Canada with employer matching.
- Annual professional development funds - $1,500 USD annual per employee.
- Book subscriptions with an extensive library in each office for personal and professional growth.
- Flexible working hours which you can coordinate with your supervisor.
- Ability for employees to work from a remote location (e.g., home) or office.
- Personal meetings with direct managers approximately every four to six weeks to discuss career growth and advancement opportunities as well as other issues important to the employees.
- Travel opportunities between Journal Technology offices and with clients.
- We provide technology that matters in the world, and we're a stable employer comprised of quality people, with a commitment to investing in our people.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: Employment at Journal Technologies is based solely upon the qualifications of the individual applicant, regardless of race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all personnel actions and decisions, including recruiting, hiring, discipline, training, transfers, compensation, benefits, promotions and terminations, leaves of absence, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.