POSTING NO.: ESSF 1676
The Edmonton Space & Science Foundation
Guest Service Representative – Gift Shop
Part-Time (up to 3 positions)
TELUS World of Science – Edmonton (TWOSE) is located in amiskwacîwâskahikan ᐊᒥᐢᑿᒌᐚᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ in Treaty Six Territory and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 4. We are the destination to engage Albertans’ hearts and minds in science, with a mission to ignite curiosity, inspire discovery, celebrate science, and change lives.
Our guests are diverse and so are we. TWOSE is deliberate in building a culture that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. Science is for everyone, and we need team members with diverse perspectives, identities, abilities, and expressions. As such we encourage Black, Indigenous, and racialized peoples, persons living with disability and neurodiversity, women, sexual and gender minorities, and members of all minority groups to apply.
Edmonton’s most unique gift shop is hiring! Join our talented Gift Shop team in creating an exceptional first impression and delivering high quality customer service in our Galaxy Gift Shop.
As a Guest Service Representative in this fun, fascinating, and fast-paced sales environment, you will assist our guests in finding one-of-a-kind gifts and souvenirs to complete their TELUS World of Science – Edmonton experience, help merchandise the store for maximum visual appeal, and process sales transactions in a friendly and accurate manner.
Under the direction of the Manager, Retail, the Guest Service Representative will ensure that our guests receive an excellent and attentive retail experience that encourages them to return again and again. The ideal candidate is energetic, reliable, and punctual, and demonstrates exception skill in customer service, patience, accuracy, and communication. The incumbent will perform their duties with little/minimal supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sales Transactions - Responsibilities include initiation and completion of all sales transactions. This includes greeting all guests, suggestive selling, and cash or credit transactions.
- Cash Handling - Processing all transactions as they occur, always using the correct cash handling procedures. Ensuring that all transactions are processed quickly and accurately. Float is balanced to zero at the completion of all shifts.
- Guest Enquiries – Responding to product and facility questions; referring more difficult questions to the Retail Manager or House Manager for handling.
- Housekeeping - Ensuring work area is clean and neat at all times. This includes the equipment, counters, floors, windows, displays, etc.
- Merchandising /Re-stocking - Ensuring all display, rack cards, brochures, ticket stock and other supplies are well stocked at all times.
- Inventory Control – Assist Retail Manager with inventory control and order placement of product. Receiving and pricing stock.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with members of the general public.
- Astronomy/telescope knowledge an asset.
Education and Experience:
- Previous customer service, retail, or cash handling experience is considered an asset.
- High school diploma or currently attending high school.
Note: A clean Police Information Check including the vulnerable sector is a condition of employment for successful candidates. The check must be completed prior to commencement of work and is the financial responsibility of the candidate.
Wages: $16.74-$20.75 per hour based on 2017-2022 Collective Agreement (PT120).
Hours of Work: 5-20 hours per week based on operational need. Must be available Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm, as well as occasional weekday evenings between 5:00pm and 10:00pm
Opening Date: September 13, 2023
Closing Date: September 20, 2023
Please include cover letter and resume in one document. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 15 per week
Salary: $16.74-$20.75 per hour
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- On-site parking
- Store discount
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Evening shift
- Every Weekend
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB T5M 4A1: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Are you available to work on Fridays between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm (inclusive)?
- Are you available to work on Saturdays between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm (inclusive)?
- Are you available to work on Sundays between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm (inclusive)?
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-20