Data Developer Business Intelligence
Reporting to the Manager, Supply Chain Performance, the Data Developer develops and maintains various complex data solutions, tools, and automations which impact several functional areas throughout PHSA. The Data Developer is responsible for building reports or dashboards, performing data analytics, writing programming codes to develop data ETL (extraction, transform, load) pipelines for data integration, and building small applications with GUI (Graphical User Interface) to gather business data and develop data visualization. The Data Developer designs, builds, and implements data system and infrastructure to support machine learning and AI analytics. The Data Developer works with internal or external stakeholders to translate business requirements into technical specification, and is responsible for implementing software or infrastructure upgrades, developing strategies for data security, and ensuring compliance with pertinent PHSA IT security and privacy policies. The Data Developer works primarily with Microsoft solutions such as SQL Server, SSRS, Power BI, SSAS, SSIS, TSQL, DAX, C#, Python, Power Platform, Azure Functions, and multiple Azure data-related services in the cloud, and manages and supports the servers and infrastructure used as the hosting environment.
What you’ll do
- Design, develop, and maintain reports and complex analytical solutions by gathering business requirements, translating requirements into technical specifications and logical data model, developing corresponding database, troubleshooting errors, and deploying solutions.
- Write ad-hoc queries and reports to support staff and leaders in data analysis, when required.
- Resolve data-related technical challenges and performs root-cause analysis to answer specific business questions by tracing data transformation through different stages in the automated data pipeline, troubleshooting programming errors, investigating the impact of business process / application configuration changes to the data automation, researching industry best practices for design and programming, developing programming solutions to fix problems, and working with IMITS and external vendors to deploy application patches.
- Design, develop, and support the automated data ETL (extraction, transform and load) processes by automating data gathering from on-premise applications or cloud sources on the internet, troubleshooting programming errors, developing and deploying solutions to fix errors. Develops programming scripts to automatically monitor ETL environment security.
- Develop technical requirement and implementation plan, coordinates with stakeholders to execute technical implementation plan, and escalates to project sponsor(s) when required.
- Develop small applications with GUI (Graphical User Interface) to gather business data, troubleshoots application programming errors, and develops / deploys solutions to fix errors.
- Write programming codes to develop data pipelines using data engineering or data science technique, and transforms data by utilizing machine learning or Artificial Intelligence algorithms. Automates processes to cleanse and enhance business data to bring out insights or data patterns. Facilitates or automates business decision making with the enhanced data. Designs, builds, and implements data system and infrastructure to support the machine learning and AI analytics.
- Sustain application access and security, performs system inspections, develops automated scripts for application / database functional testing or unit testing, recommends improvements to ensure effectiveness of programming development processes or system performance.
What you bring:
- Graduation from a recognized degree or diploma program in Computer Science, three (3) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Salary Range: $44.87 / Hour
Location: 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC V5C 6E3
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday; 0830-1630.
Requisition # 148773E / 151191E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 18, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264
. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at [email protected]
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.