The Royal Conservatory (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, and teacher certification. It is also a leader in the development of early childhood education programs and arts-based social programs, and presents a diverse range of concerts featuring the finest Canadian and international artists in its magnificent performance space, Koerner Hall. Please visit www.rcmusic.com for more information.
Reporting to the Concessions and Beverage Manager, the Bartender will be responsible for providing quick, efficient, safe, and professional beverage and concession services to patrons and guests of The Royal Conservatory.
In addition, incumbents of this role will be responsible for maintaining and operating all concession spaces. They will work closely with facility maintenance, front of house, preferred caterers, and security personnel to ensure that concessions and events run smoothly while maintaining the highest level of patron satisfaction, comfort, and safety.
- Ensure the efficient sale and service of all beverages and food at Koerner Hall’s three lobby bars.
- Deliver beverage services for all special events hosted at The Royal Conservatory, and passing and clearing beverages in a busy room.
- Ensure that high-volume business during intermissions is handled in a professional and efficient manner with the goal of capturing all possible patron business.
- Maintain a high level of familiarity with food and beverage offered by the house, and with all pertinent show/event details.
- Proper and timely reporting of any potential issues or problems to Management.
- Delivery of the best possible customer experience to all guests and patrons.
- Submit timely report of any breakages, incidents or issues that occur during each shift.
- Enforce all AGCO regulations regarding the safe service of alcohol.
- Meet and exceed the standards for best practices for beverage service at concession bars and special events, while maintaining a professional, hospitable, and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Clean and polish all glassware, bars, counters, and concession areas in keeping with RCM’s service standards and provincial health & safety standards.
- Actively check and maintain inventory before, during and after each shift to maximize efficient sales.
- Replenish the stock as needed following each shift.
- Move products into to a secure storage space following each shift.
- Complete the inventory, cash count and cash deposit forms following each shift (using RCM inventory tracking and deposit forms).
- Occasionally work a merchandise selling shift for RCM sponsored concerts.
- Smart Serve certification is required
- Minimum of 1 year experience working as a bartender and/or in food service
- Punctual and reliable attendance at all scheduled shifts
- Demonstrated commitment to patron safety and safe beverage handling is essential
- Experience working in a comparable performance venue is an advantage
- Interest in music and the arts is a great advantage
- Enthusiastic, friendly, and professional at all times while working
- Ability to remain level-headed and resolve challenges and requests in an extremely fast-paced, demanding environment
- Comfortable with cash management and knowledge of POS systems
- Able to work flexible hours, and an average of 10-15 hours per week
- It is anticipated that the schedule will vary and encompass a range of timeframes including early mornings, late evenings, and weekends.
- There will also be the occurrence of working outdoors in inclement weather on occasion.
- Physically demanding position, requiring long hours on your feet/standing
- Occasional heavy lifting, with the expectation that incumbents should be able to lift 50 lbs.
The RCM is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the RCM’s Anti-Racism, Access and Equity Policy, accommodation will be provided at any stage of in the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known when they have been contacted for an interview.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and current résumé online (please upload a single file combining both documents) at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory. There are presently five (5) openings to be filled, and applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until all of the positions have been successfully filled.
The RCM thanks all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.