Penticton Indian Band
841 Westhills Drive
Penticton, British Columbia V2A 0E8
Telephone: 250-493-0048 Fax: 250-493-2882
Position Title: Daycare Bus Driver/Maintenanace Worker
Responsible To: Child Care Programs Manager
Pay Range: $21 – 26 per hour(Based on certifications & experience)
Status: Full time, Permanent
Department: Little Paws Children’s Centre
Working Hours: Up to 35 hours per week (Mon-Fri)
Location: Little Paws Children’s Center, 162 Westhills Crescent, Penticton, BC V2A 6J7
Deadline: Until Filled
The Penticton Indian Band (PIB) is currently seeking ambitious and qualified individuals to fill the Daycare Bus Driver/Maintenance Worker. Under the supervision of the Childcare Programs Manager this important position focuses on providing safe transportation for kids and the Daycare staff. This includes travel both to and from the Daycare in a punctual manner. Additional trips such as Daycare outings or field trips will also be a part of this job. The position will also, help upkeep the Little Paws Daycare parks, roads, parking lots and building. The duties involve routine maintenance of parks, playgrounds and playing fields; minor repairs to maintenance equipment not requiring a certified trade; minor building repairs and routine building maintenance; fire suppression work, firewood, and snow removal on walkways and parking lots.
Job Responsibilities and Work Performed:
- Perform pre and post trip inspections as required by government regulations.
- Maintain all necessary paperwork and records.
- Pre-trip: Check the condition of the bus via a “Walk around” the bus, check lights, engine fluids, tires, suspension system, general safety of the chasse, inspection on the interior to ensure everything is in working order. Maintain and enter applicable data into “Trip Inspection” log on daily basis. Report and bus malfunction or needs for repair to Childcare Programs Manager.
- Schedule regular Motor Vehicle Inspections every 6 months for insurance purposes àSeptember and March.
- Schedule Annual Motor Vehicle inspection with Motor Vehicle Inspector in September.
- Safely drive multi-passenger bus to and from Daycare, following a prescribed route, daily.
- Safely transport kids and Daycare staff to Daycare activities and field trips.
- Comply with traffic regulations to operate the bus in a safe and courteous manner.
- Develop and maintain yearly bus schedule for pickup and delivery.
- Pick up and drop off kids at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation systems for passenger comfort.
- Read maps and follow written or verbal geographic directions.
- Escort small children across roads and highways when necessary.
- Keep bus interior clean and in good repair.
- Maintain knowledge of basic first-aid procedures and complete forms for the Daycare records.
- Ensure first aid kit is adequately stocked and maintained.
- Check fuel and oil gages and maintain refueling schedule.
- Check the calendar and/or inquire with the Supervisor regarding field trips.
- Maintain discipline within the bus.
- Install chains with regards to weather conditions to ensure safety of kids and bus.
- Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations, to the Supervisor, using cell phone or mobile two-way radio.
- Performs grounds keeping and Daycare building maintenance duties.
- Maintains landscape environments by mowing, edging, trimming, fertilizing, aerating, dethatching, and watering.
- Performs tasks related to painting, carpentry and minor repairs which do not require a certified trade.
- Transport materials, machinery, and equipment to work sites.
- Removes and hauls away dead, damaged, and unwanted trees, shrubs, pruning and grass.
- Provides top dressing and reseeding to lawns and grass areas where required.
- Establishes and maintains noxious weed control procedures and applies proper weed control products as required.
- Sweeps walkwaysand patio areas of debris
- Perform work at heights of up to 30 feet using ladders, scissor lift and/or scaffolding to clean high ledges in halls and gym, changing light bulbs, etc.
- Work with and understand the chemicals utilized and ensure the right product is used.
- Ensure maintenance materials and supplies are stored in a safe and orderly manner.
- Maintains inventory. Recommends, orders and purchases equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Ensure compliance with WHMIS and refer to Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) if experiencing an adverse physical reaction or if a chemical is swallowed, splashed in eyes, or accidentally spilled or mixed.
- Performs tasks related to painting, carpentry and minor repairs which do not require a certified trade.
- Engage with children in friendly, positive, professional manner.
- Ensure playgrounds are maintained and meet childcare licensing regulations related to safety measure in and around playground equipment.
- Other duties as requested and is mutually agreed upon.
- Supervise the children while on the bus and settle any dispute when necessary.
- Report to the Child Care Programs Manager and, Director of Education, when necessary
- Consults with Landscape mentor when required.
- Establishes working relationship with outside companies to obtain advise on new products and maintenance procedures.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with coworkers and community members.
- A good standing relationship with parents and staff, along with high standards, specifically in dealing with children is also maintained.
- Children and passenger safety is of utmost priority.
- Time management is also a component where kids are brought to and from Daycare in a timely manner.
- Ensure safety of children and community members when applying fertilizer, weed control and pesticides.
- Safe storage and handling of chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, and other products.
- Reports to supervisors regarding work and provides updates regarding scope of work.
- Monitors and assesses work related tasks and makes improvements or takes corrective action where required.
- Ensuring the cleanliness and maintenance of each building.
- Maintaining honest and accurate accounting of time.
- Maintaining WHMIS Certification.
- Represents PIB and Little Paws Daycare offsite.
Reports to be completed
- Daily “Trip Inspection” Logs
- Bus run schedule to the Supervisor
- Bus seating chart – if required
The level of decision-making is very precise when driving. The level of exercising judgment is high particularly when driving on snow and ice and with traffic congestions. Dealing with conflict with children is also a situation where there could be a high level of exercising judgment. Acting responsibility and quickly to secure an accident scene and safely exit kids from bus to safe location in the event of a major accident. Ability to make decisions regarding managing operations of equipment and systems. Understanding of hazardous chemicals and safe use of products.
Minimum Academic/Educational Requirements
Other Certification, Licenses, Designations and/or Training
- Basic First Aid
- Class 4 Drivers License and a properly insured vehicle
- Criminal Records Check including Vulnerable sectors
- Building Service Worker Certification
- Ladder Safety Training
Job Skills Required
- Performing routine maintenance on bus and determining when and what kind of maintenance is required.
- Critical Thinkingusing logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems encountered.
- Selective attention-ability to concentrate on tasks over a period without being distracted
- Knowledge of automatic sprinkler systems.
- Knowledge of chemical fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, and pesticides
- Knowledge and experience with fencing.
- Ability to manage one’s own time
- Able to deal with people tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally always
- Ability to follow directions.
- Quick reaction time
- Positive role model always.
- Positive/healthy choices always.
- Excellent Stress management abilities: Children can be loud, laughing, crying, hollering while on the bus – must have an ability to deal with children
- It is imperative that the successful person for this position is drug and alcohol free, punctual and maintains a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of Okanagan Language and Culture
- Class 2 with air brakes endorsement
- Ability to perform maintenance tasks such as carpentry, and minor building repairs.
- Experience with power tools to support repairs and maintenance to equipment and building repairs.
- Pesticide Applicators license an asset but not required.
- Experience with fencing and good physical health condition
- Safe working environment
- Drug and alcohol free
- Exposure to various weather conditions.
- Expected to wear common protective or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, etc.
- May be exposed to contaminants such as pollutants, chemicals, gases, dust, or odors
- Ladder safety a must as some jobs involves climbing to reach upper ledges and light fixtures.
- Physical ability to lift 50-75 lbs.
- Must be capable and willing to work flexible hours when required
- Working environment and safety protocols of the highest caliber, working with face masks worn when necessary.
- Overtime as required.
Entitlements to Benefits and Pension:
After successful completion of probationary period:
- CINUP - Group Insurance (that will cover Dental care, Vision care, Disability insurance, Extended health care, and Life insurance)
- Canada Life - Registered Pension Plan (RPP)
- Paid time off (2 weeks Christmas closure and entitled vacation time)
- 15 paid Sick days per year
Preference will be given to qualified Aboriginal applicants as per section 21 of the Human Rights Code.
All Penticton Indian Band employees are encouraged to learn about the culture, language and customs of the Okanagan people and must be willing to continuously upgrade their skills and knowledge and further their formal education. The Penticton Indian Band provides equal employment opportunities to all, regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, political belief, and creed, disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions or that cannot be accommodated, or conviction for which a pardon has been granted. However, where two or more applicants have comparable or equivalent skills and qualifications, preference shall be given, in the following order, to persons with specific knowledge of and/or experience with Sn’Pink’TN
(Penticton) language (N’syilxcen), culture, history and customs; persons of Aboriginal, Métis or Inuit ancestry; and all others. We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00-$26.00 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Stock options
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Penticton, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Custodian or driving: 1 year (preferred)
- Building service worker certification (preferred)
- Current First Aid Certification (preferred)
- Class 4 License (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-31