two open positions - Jr. and Sr roles.
As telMAX continues to build its own fiber network and directly compete against the incumbent operators in key metropolitan areas around Toronto, the Network Engineering department requires the best candidates the region has to offer. There are many aspects of the network that must be bolstered, and this role is flexible based on the skills and experience of the candidate. However, this is not a junior position, and the fundamental skill we are looking for in entrepreneurial. To succeed in this role, you must adopt our network as your own, protect it like your family, and help it grow from infancy toward maturity.
This role provides unique access to next-generation networking equipment and puts you in the creator seat of both process and policy. Collaborating with more than a half dozen peers, the Network Engineering department is the engine of the ISP. All products, technologies, equipment, locations, maintenance, site acquisition, backhaul, transit, security, addressing, provisioning, and automation flow through this department and provide opportunities for growth in all directions.
There is an on-site requirement to be collaborative and to make proper use of our lab and staging areas. There is a field requirement where experience with fiber, outside plant (aerial & buried), telecom racks and servers, power plants and electrical, are all considered benefits. There is a rotating on-call requirement to respond to emergency events and to provide excellent customer experience through support escalations.
There are no ‘hard’ requirements for this position, but aptitude will be examined where prowess is stated with the hope of finding a unique combination of skills that will benefit the entire company.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Roughly five years (Senior Role) less than 5 year (Junior Role) relevant work experience as a service/services provider in the IT/Telecommunications space
- Comfort with Juniper and or Cisco equipment, or a commitment to learn
- Comfort with Linux servers or a commitment to learn
- Experience building/maintaining equipment racks/cabinets including fiber management, ethernet termination, sizing of standby power, battery maintenance, DC wiring, airflow/cooling considerations, access control/security
- Experience with the outside plant from an operator perspective (vendor experience attempting to understand the operation perspective is encouraged)
- Knowledge of fiber, OTDR, splicing, common faults, wavelengths and dB math
Job Type: Full-time
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person