SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Manager of Transit Operations, provides creative leadership to staff in a multi-functional workforce engaged in delivery of services to the public and internal clients. Promotes a service-oriented culture and focus within the Section. Promotes teamwork and integration within Transit, and with other parties participating in cross-functional and cross-program initiatives.
Accountable to evaluate and report on the Section’s service; financial, administrative and staff performance against internal and external benchmarks. Designs and implements strategies to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Sets above average standards and leads by example.
Supports a 24/7 operation.
You will assume accountability and responsibility for Operations programs to ensure service quality, cost effective and timely service delivery and legislative compliance. Monitors the progress of major program initiatives.
The Superintendent of Service Delivery is accountable to the Manager of Operations for ensuring that Operations are consistent with the City of Hamilton mission and vision.
GENERAL DUTIES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO)
Makes recommendations and provides input on operational matters to enhance the customer experience, promote employee engagement and facilitate efficient operations and excellence in service delivery.
Supports the Collective Agreement and fosters positive labor relations
Responsible for hiring, training, disciplining and performance evaluation of Inspector Section staff.
Performance management of reporting employees, absenteeism, disciplinary, performance appraisals (PAD’s).
Responsible for the daily service delivery and the reporting of performance KPI’s.
Supports on street incident resolution and action by providing direction to the on-street Inspector staff.
Supports control room & dispatch functions and provide direction to the in-office Inspector staff.
Supports on street customer support by providing direction to the on-street Inspector staff.
Attend serious incident scenes, or events of prominence in the City, to represent the City and supervise by providing direction and support to onsite staff. Assumes role of incident commander in the event of critical emergency which impacts service, directly or indirectly, if seriousness of situation requires it.
Participates and promotes customer engagement on street.
Maintains on-road assets related to Operations, supervisory vehicles, supplies, laptops, tablets, radios.
Monitors and actions employee performance, including providing coaching, counselling, retraining recommendations, positive reinforcement, customer commendations for the Inspector group, and supports the Superintendent, Operations Administration by providing input and feedback on Operations staff on-road.
Ensures that employees are provided with and use the appropriate equipment, material and/or procedures required to perform the assigned duties.
Ensures that all employees perform work in accordance with applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
Ensures that appropriate action is recommended for those employees who do not work in compliance with legislation, policies and procedures.
Promotes teamwork and integration within Transit, with other Divisions, Departments and other parties participating in cross-functional and cross-program initiatives.
Develops and empowers staff through delegation of responsibilities and accountabilities through regular feedback, and by providing development opportunities and technical direction.
Monitors the operations and projects within the Section to ensure safety, service quality, cost effective and timely delivery of services, and appropriate legislative compliance. Establish quality assurance and continuous improvement programs.
Responsible for promotion and application of occupational health and safety for the Section in accordance with Municipal and Provincial procedures, guidelines and regulations.
Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge of business administration theories/practices usually acquired by completing a community college diploma or university degree in Business Administration or related program and relevant progressive work experience.
- Demonstrated considerable Transit management experience with a strong track record of managing employee relations coupled with demonstrated management training/education.
- Possess considerable experience in route management including schedule adherence with the ability to identify emerging issues while ensuring effective and timely delivery of services.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in managing a large staff in a unionized, results oriented environment.
- Previous experience with quality assurance, continuous improvement and change management programs.
- Highly effective leadership, facilitation, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent presentation, analytical, organizational, report writing, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of City staff, external consultants and suppliers.
- Experienced in designing and delivering customer focused programs and services.
- Possesses a high level of personal integrity and is an excellent communicator.
- Possesses a demonstrated record of strong leadership and guidance, customer focus, innovation/creativity, team advocacy, staff delegation, empowerment and staff development and be results oriented
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with elected officials, representatives of other levels of government, management, peers, staff and the general public. Previous experience working in a highly legislated environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Working knowledge of computer software applications, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, CAD and AVL Systems is required.
- Must possess a valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and a point-free driving record and/or a record found to be satisfactory to the City of Hamilton. Must be able to obtain or already possess a class “CZ” license.
The incumbent(s) must be available for shift work as this position supports a 24/7, 7 days per week operation requiring flexibility and availability for rotating shifts including days, afternoons, nights and weekends.
THE INCUMBENT SHALL COMPLY WITH ALL HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICIES AND PRACTICES FOR THIS POSITION AND THE WORKPLACE
* * * * * * * * * * *