Love What You Do
Family is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property, and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
To us, a seamless user experience is as important as the people behind it. That’s why we hire the most service-oriented individuals in BC and empower them with the tools they need to wow both our broker network and their clients. If a vibrant atmosphere with great people and an ambitious culture sounds like your kind of fit, apply to join us today.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Family offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers, and customers while ensuring collaboration, teamwork, and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting directly to the Development Leader, the C#.NET Developer will play a pivotal role in the technical aspects of our development team. You will be an integral part of the complete software project lifecycle, collaborating with a dynamic team of developers, business analysts, quality assurance analysts, and project managers to elevate our existing and new applications.
- Collaborate with Business Analysts to create detailed and high-quality systems designs for assigned product components, aligning with specified functionality.
- Architect and develop medium to large-scale applications utilizing .NET technologies.
- Take ownership of delivery schedules, encompassing implementation, development testing, defect resolution, and investigation.
- Participate in estimating project efforts and defining delivery timelines.
- Identify and mitigate technical, scheduling, and project-related risks.
- Foster proactive collaboration with teammates and ensure efficient and predictable project progression through effective communication with stakeholders.
- Contribute technical insights to shape product roadmaps, finding optimal compromises between technical constraints and business requirements.
- Establish and adhere to guidelines and coding standards, facilitating the creation of reusable application components that are easily maintainable, troubleshootable, and testable.
- Contribute to process enhancement initiatives, elevating the quality and timeliness of deliverables with enhanced predictability.
- Mentor and provide guidance to less experienced colleagues, fostering their growth.
Additional assets include:
- Proficiency in .NET application development, including:
- Current and hands-on experience with C# and T-SQL.
- Proficiency in SQL and knowledge of SQL Administration functions.
- Working knowledge of MVC (Razor), including MVC routing and Action Results.
- Familiarity with WF, WPF, and ASP.NET Core.
- Experience with Unity Dependency Injection.
- Competence in Entity Framework and LINQ Queries.
- Experience with Unit Testing using Mock and Shims.
- Proficiency in jQuery, LINQ, Angular, and Entity Framework.
- Solid grasp of Object-Oriented concepts and design principles.
- Experience using .NET diagnostic tools for investigating and profiling .NET applications.
- Strong skills in C# and ASP.NET development languages, including:
- Experience in developing Web Applications using HTML and CSS.
- Implementation of Web Application Security.
- Experience with VB development.
- Recent use of JKnockOut.
- Proven ability to create design documents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft SQL Server SQL query programming.
- Training and experience in maintaining high-volume. NET-based client-server business systems.
- Intermediate knowledge of RDBMS such as SQL Server.
- Agile project development experience is advantageous.
- Exposure to diverse technologies and development techniques is valued.
- Possess a technical or college degree in Information Systems or Computer Science.
- Hold a minimum of 5+ years of prior experience as a systems analyst or developer.
- Experience with personal lines insurance development projects is a plus.
- Demonstrate a proactive and enthusiastic approach to learning and applying knowledge to troubleshoot software issues.
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with the ability to convey ideas clearly and concisely.
- Display autonomy in managing assignments and balancing multiple tasks effectively.
- Thrive in both independent and collaborative team environments.
- Show meticulous attention to detail in all tasks.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and the ability to address internal and external customer concerns professionally.
- Adaptable and Flexible to changing priorities. Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment and provide quality deliverables while catering to changing business requirements.
- Quick Learner and self-starter who can adapt to evolving business requirements/needs and tight deadlines.
Pre-screening tests might be required for some positions.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Retirement savings program with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation, personal leave, and birthday leave.
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations.
- Competitive salary and benefits, including educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams.
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, access to BIPOC counsellors, and access to programs for working parents.
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
You must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter outlining their suitability for this opportunity and a copy of their resume in one document.
We would like to thank all candidates for showing interest in this role and our company; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]