As the Assistant Controller, you'll be a crucial part of our finance team, reporting directly to the Controller. Your main mission is to keep our financial operations running smoothly. This means making sure our month-end reports are accurate and maintaining the financial records for our five global entities (two in Canada, one in the US, one in Australia, and one in the UK).
But here's the exciting part – you won't be doing it alone. You'll lead and support a talented team of finance professionals, so leadership and teamwork are key in this role.
We're searching for a proactive, detail-oriented professional who knows how to manage deadlines and balance multiple responsibilities. If you've got strong judgment, excellent people management skills, and the ability to work closely with top-level executives, we'd love to hear from you.
- Financial Reporting: Manage month-end close process to ensure completeness and accuracy of financial reporting. Prepare accurate and timely financial reporting at consolidated and departmental levels. Additionally, actively engage in meetings with various departments to provide financial insights and analysis, foster collaboration, and facilitate the connection between teams.
- Workforce Planning: Collaborate with HR and department heads on headcount planning initiatives. Provide analysis to support strategic decisions regarding staffing, resource allocation, and talent acquisition to align with financial goals.
- Budgeting and Forecasting: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop annual budgets and forecasts. Monitor and analyze budget variances and recommend corrective actions.
- Team Management and Leadership: Manage and coach a team of up to ten finance professionals, fostering a collaborative and high-performing work environment. Provide guidance, set clear performance expectations, and support the team in achieving their goals and professional development.
- Audit Support: Support external audits by providing necessary documentation and addressing audit inquiries promptly and accurately.
- Tax Compliance: Ensure compliance with all applicable tax laws and regulations in multiple jurisdictions.
- Treasury Management: Manage foreign exchange, maximize short term investment returns and optimize cash balances.
- International Operations: Strategic management of global expansion and financial operations.
- Process Improvements and System Enhancements: Drive process enhancements within the finance department to streamline operations and boost efficiency. Lead or support financial system implementations and upgrades to modernize our tools and ensure they align with best practices.
Education & Experience
- University degree in accounting and/or business
- CPA designation required
- 7+ years of post qualification experience
- Experience with financial system implementation an asset