The Alberta Bone & Joint Health Institute is a highly respected, not-for-profit consultancy firm whose strength is turning knowledge into better care for people with bone and joint health conditions. The Institute uses the best evidence available to develop innovative solutions to problems within the health care system and monitors the impacts of these innovations on the quality of care delivered to Albertans.
Our work is supported by partnerships with Alberta Health Services, universities, health practitioners, researchers, non-profits, educators, government, and private donors. The Institute operates a robust data repository that integrates bone and joint data from the Alberta health system and patient-reported health outcomes. Additionally, our services include designing, evaluating, and implementing evidence-based continuums of care, brokering the relationships required to advance bone and joint health care, providing project and research management services, and conducting advanced analytics in support of our partners.
Nature of Work
Reporting to the Projects Director, the Business Analyst will be responsible for documenting and optimizing data flows and business processes related to the secure transfer of health data from the EMR (Electronic Medical Records) systems of partner clinics to the ABJHI Data Repository. The Business Analyst will work with partner clinics to map out and optimize their business processes, document clinic business rules, and provide technological solutions to streamline health data collection using their EMR. The incumbent will also be responsible for the management and delivery of downstream data reporting.
This work will be undertaken in service of advancing evidence-based best practices related to bone and joint healthcare across Alberta. The role requires extensive engagement and collaboration with a broad array of stakeholders, including medical professionals, health administrators, clerical staff, and data end-users.
Day travel throughout Alberta is required, with occasional overnight travel a possibility. ABJHI employs all full-time staff on recurring one-year employment contracts pending major client contract renewals.
Operating within a multidisciplinary environment and supported by the project management and analytical teams, the Business Analysts’ responsibilities include:
- Evaluating clinic processes, identifying, and documenting requirements, designing, and implementing data and reporting solutions
- Staying updated on the latest technologies to automate processes and improve efficiency.
- Developing digital tools to guide data collection, analyses and reporting.
- Overseeing report generation and dissemination
- Tracking progress against project milestones and deliverables
- Reporting findings and outcomes with key stakeholders
- Ensuring all actions are aligned with the Institute’s strategic direction, ethics, values, and professional standards.
- Communicating professionally and proficiently with internal and external stakeholders, while promoting the Institute’s vision, values, and reputation
- Continuously identifying opportunities for improvement with internal and external processes
An undergraduate degree in computer science, management information systems, computing and systems development, business management, or health-related field is required. Graduate degree or above would be considered an asset. A minimum of 2 years experience in a business analysis role, ideally within a healthcare setting. Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
The successful candidate will demonstrate competency in:
- Effective and strong organizational, communication and problem-solving skills
- Multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced dynamic environment with competing deadlines.
- Exercising tact, discretion, and good judgment.
- Working with EMR systems and SQL databases.
- Intermediate (or better) skills in SQL and RDBMS.
- Expert with Microsoft Office applications.
- Data organization and visualization skills.
- Process modelling.
- Experience working with python, SQL Server Integration Services, XML, or B2B data exchange would be an asset. Business Analyst
- Gather and analyze business requirements from stakeholders
- Conduct research and data analysis to identify trends and insights
- Develop and document business processes and workflows
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define project scope and objectives
- Create visual representations of business processes using tools such as Visio
- Assist in the development and implementation of new business strategies
- Identify areas for process improvement and recommend solutions
- Prepare and present reports, findings, and recommendations to management
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex data sets
- Proficiency in data analysis tools and techniques
- Experience with business process modeling using Visio or similar tools
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to think critically
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual who is passionate about leveraging data analytics to drive business growth. As a Business Analyst, you will play a key role in identifying opportunities for improvement, implementing new strategies, and supporting decision-making processes. Join our dynamic team and contribute to our continued success!
Please note that only qualified candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in this position.
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Salary: $75,000.00-$95,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB T3G 5H6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Calgary, AB T3G 5H6