Business and Economic Development Coordinator
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ promotes, cares, and advocates for a vibrant and inclusive downtown where business thrives and people are drawn to work, live, shop and explore. We host events throughout the year and work to beautify our downtown, improve cleanliness, safety, and help make it easier to get around. Our downtown is on Treaty No. 1 territory and the traditional Homeland of the Red River Métis.
Reporting to the Director of Policy and Economic Development, the Business and Economic Development Coordinator is responsible for supporting and leading business and economic development initiatives, programs and activities in Downtown Winnipeg. This position involves researching, collecting and analyzing a range of economic and business development data and opportunities. The coordinator builds and maintains good working relationships with the business community, developers, city departments, and partner organizations as well as respond to inquiries from BIZ members and potential investors and business stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is an innovative problem solver with a proven track record of project management, a community builder and analytical thinker who is passionate about Downtown Winnipeg.
- Develop, implement and manage programs to support recruitment and retention of retail, restaurant, and entertainment and office tenants in Downtown Winnipeg.
- Review, research and monitor economic development and policy initiatives of the City of Winnipeg and other partner organizations.
- Monitor construction activity and track estimated milestone and completion dates.
- Analyze and evaluate real estate and development projects for consistency with strategic goals and objectives and economic impact on the community.
- Identify and monitor investment and leasing activity.
- Maintain database of contact information and development updates for economic development projects, including tracking and reporting on opening and closing of businesses.
- Provide insight on the economic landscape and opportunities to management.
- Create written and oral presentations and reports.
- Support existing and potential new BIZ members by providing market research, business development and available government supports.
- Administer member grant programs.
- Update and maintain the business support section of Downtown Winnipeg BIZ Website.
- Post-secondary education in Economics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- Relevant work experience is considered an asset.
- General understanding of principles and practices of economic development and ability to accurately evaluate and effectively communicate and report on economic development projects and programs.
- Enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to quickly learn and understand concepts, problem solve, take ownership, and manage work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with both public and private sector stakeholders.
- Project management knowledge, research and database management experience, and computer applications expertise (e.g. MS Office, Excel, Power Point)
WORK ENVIRONMENT & CULTURE
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ embodies a culture of collaboration and customer service. We have a diverse team who are encouraged to provide input and participate on committees to inform workplace values and influence the culture and environment. Working in the heart of downtown, we take time to enjoy the amenities and community around us; through participation in our own programs, staff celebrations, and the endless number of events located downtown. We offer a 35-hour work week, subsidized transit passes, “Furry Fridays” (bring your pet to work days) and early access to information about fun things happening in the heart of the city! Our organization’s success is powered by our passionate team. Downtown is moving forward – be a part of the team at the centre of the action!
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is committed to equity, diversity and accessibility in the workplace. We strive to have a team that reflects our downtown, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives are valued and drive a high standard of service and innovation. We encourage candidates to speak to this in their application.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES should submit their cover letter and resume with salary expectations. Please include position title in the subject line. Please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This posting will remain open until suitable candidates have been selected.
Applicants should identify if they require accommodation during the competition process on a confidential basis. This posting is available in alternate formats upon request.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person