Job Title: Assistant Coach – Women’s Hockey
Job Type: Full-Time - Contract Position
Location: MRU Main Campus - Calgary, AB
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: Negotiable
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University has built a reputation on a strong, liberal education foundation. Our vision is to provide an exceptional undergraduate educational experience for our students.
We are a community of engaged citizens, providing personalized, experiential and outcome- based learning in an environment of inclusion, diversity and respect. Through our focus on teaching and learning informed by scholarship, we are preparing our graduates for success in their careers and lives.
Mount Royal University presently offers 12 four-year baccalaureate degrees with 32 majors, with a view to grow this mix to 15 degrees and 60 majors by 2025. Current degree offerings are unique, and include four-year bachelor degrees in interior design, midwifery, child studies and health and physical education, as well as arts, criminal justice, business administration, communication, computer information systems, education, nursing and science. Mount Royal also offers robust continuing education programming as well as an internationally-renowned music conservatory.
More than 13,000 credit students attend Mount Royal University annually, with more than
90,000 Mount Royal alumni contributing to their communities worldwide.
Our faculty provide a teaching and learning environment that welcomes challenging ideas.
Our staff are dedicated to supporting our campus so that students are provided with an exceptional educational experience. Our management team provides leadership throughout the University, and inspires others at all levels to be leaders in their own important sectors.
In support of our students, and in response to our broader community, we know that investing in our employees benefits the University as a whole. Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. Our faculty, staff and management are united in creating a thriving learning environment for our students. Mount Royal University is an exceptional community focused on our people.
About the Department of Cougars Athletics and Recreation
Mount Royal University Cougars Athletics and Recreation takes an inclusive, student-centered approach in offering groups and individuals opportunities to bolster their health and wellness through a wide range of programming and activities ranging from beginner sports enthusiast to our eight Cougars varsity athletic programs.
About the Role
Reporting to the Women’s Hockey Head Coach, the Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting with leading and developing an exciting and competitive high-performance U SPORTS
Women's Hockey program that enhances the strategic vision of the University and supports the campus community.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Assist with strategic planning, administration and monitoring of performance of the
Women’s Hockey program.
● Practice planning, day to day organization, team communication and instruction.
● Game preparation including scouting, video analysis and tactical planning.
● Assist in the organization of team travel.
● Assist with recruitment efforts; talent identification, and evaluation.
● Assist with student-athlete development. This includes mentorship of individuals and supporting team dynamics, managing team rules and conduct, leadership development, commitment to safety, and supporting the overall well-being of student athletes.
● Remain current with knowledge, trends, and practices that are necessary to assist with building and maintaining a nationally competitive program and to promote an environment of growth.
● Assist with the planning and lead the implementation of fundraising activities that support the Women’s Hockey program.
● Other duties as assigned by the Head Coach.
● Ability to train and motivate athletes.
● Demonstrate passion and energy in a university community, particularly varsity athletics.
● Comprehensive knowledge of strategies and techniques that support the teaching, coaching, and ultimate preparation of student-athletes for practice and competition at the U SPORTS level.
● Strong organizational, administrative, and computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite,
Google Suite, and other video/analytics programs).
● Ability to exercise discretion, good judgment, solid decision-making, and confidentiality of information within a Safe Sport environment
● Ability to communicate effectively, efficiently, and professionally. Strong interpersonal skills, creative-thinking, and the ability to work in a team environment.
Capable of eliciting and fostering trust with athletes, coaches, and other professionals.
● A Bachelor’s Degree combined with at least 3 years of coaching experience in a high- performance environment.
● Previous playing experience at a high level.
● Development 1 certification.
● Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
● Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary Range: Based on experience
To Apply: Submit application documents (outlined below) via email to Women’s
Hockey Head Coach: Scott Rivett – [email protected]
A cover letter, resume and a list of 2-3 references should be submitted in one .pdf
formatted document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [First Name]
[Last Name], [Assistant Coach].pdf (ex. Jane Doe, Assistant Coach.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age. Cougars
Athletics and Recreation, as part of MRU’s Academic and Student division, celebrates justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI).
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina, and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow
River meets the Elbow River, and the traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis'' which we now call the City of Calgary.The City of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00-$55,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB T3E 6K6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person