The HR Manager will be responsible for performing HR-related duties in a high-level professional work environment. They will work closely with the Lawrie Group store management team and the senior leadership team in supporting seven home improvement retail stores found throughout the Annapolis valley and the municipality of Clare.
This position will have responsibilities in the following functional areas: employment recruitment, budget forecasting, employee relations, training and development, performance management, benefits administration, compensation, and employment law compliance.
This role requires exceptional organizational skills (including a strong knowledge of Microsoft 365), attention to detail, and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Provide support to the Store Managers and their employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves of absence, compensation, and benefits, and resolving issues related to employment.
- Help manage the recruitment and selection process for each of the three banner types under our Home Hardware program: including posting job vacancies, screening resumes, conducting interviews, and making job offers.
- Assist in the preparation, editing, and formatting of various documents, reports, presentations, and spreadsheets.
- Proofread materials for accuracy and completeness, ensuring a high level of quality.
- Work with the Lawrie Group leadership team to determine wage and benefit budgets, help coordinate employee training and development programs, including onboarding, orientation, and ongoing training initiatives.
- Help administer the store employee and manager performance management process, including goal setting, performance evaluations, and store manager coaching.
- Monitor and provide feedback to the Lawrie Group leadership team and address any performance issues.
- Will be responsible for administering employee benefits programs such as health, dental, life insurance, WCB and any other future benefit programs.
- Ensure compliance with federal, provincial and local employment laws and regulations.
- Will be responsible for maintaining employee records and ensuring data accuracy in HR systems.
- Assist in the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures.
- Will then present and educate the store managers and their employees of such policies and procedures.
- Participates in HR projects and initiatives as needed.
- Maintain accurate expense records and verify the authorizations for all expenses.
- Help to develop our Lawrie brand for employee retention and create unique job postings to draw attention to our stores.
- Contact suppliers, sister stores, customers, government offices, etc. as necessary.
- Have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft 365 and all its operational software.
- Handle any escalated employee or store manager complaints or issues, striving to resolve them in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Maintain professional confidentiality of all store and employee records.
- Assist in month-end and year-end budget procedures, including relevant reporting requirements.
- Drive sales growth and profitability by effectively promoting our products and services to the target markets.
- Communicate effectively with store staff, co-workers, and customers.
- Maintain a high level of product knowledge and stay up to date on industry trends and competitor activity.
- Ensure compliance with safety and security protocols and respond promptly to any incidents or emergencies.
- Be able to conduct team meetings to discuss problems, review objectives, recognize and celebrate accomplishments.
- Provide an environment that encourages high employee productivity and morale.
- Participate and represent the store in local events and any planned job fairs.
Qualifications and Skills Preferred:
- A relevant degree in business admin or related field/role.
- 7+ years of proven experience in a similar role
- Ability to read and interpret written or printed information, as well as data presented in numerical or statistical form, and prepare reports, invoices, etc.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Leadership and team management skills
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office applications and calendar management tools.
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and regulations
- Flexible and adaptable to change priorities and ability to work in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Customer service-oriented approach with the ability to build and maintain positive relationships.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Results-driven mindset and wiliness to take initiative.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Physical Demands/Requirements: (variable)
- Standing- Ability to stand on concrete floor and pavement terrain with movement for 3 hours a day.
- Climbing- Ascending or descending ladders and stairs while carrying product up to 30lbs
- Lifting- Ability to bend forward and twist and move up to 40lbs (carts available if required)
- Posture- Ability to kneel, squat, climb and use a foot pedal action.
- Pushing- Ability to push carts with product up to 50lbs.
- Computer Ergonomics- Ability to use a computer for up to 5 hours per shift using proper ergonomic methods.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, during power outages, storms, and pandemics.
- Travelling to multiple store locations is required for this role.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume to [email protected]. Please reference the job title on your cover letter. The dealer will review the application and follow up. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. The interview will have a test for competency.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $52,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Human resources: 7 years (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-15