Lotus Group is pleased to announce that we are actively recruiting for a Board Secretary for our trusted client Edmonton International Airport.
Edmonton Airports is a community-based, financially independent, not-for-profit corporation that manages Edmonton International Airport (YEG). YEG serves over 8.2 million passengers per year and offers non-stop connections to more than 50 destinations around the world. The organization also owns and operates Villeneuve Airport, a general aviation facility northwest of Edmonton which serves as the primary flight-training facility for the Edmonton Metro Region.
Edmonton Airports is governed by an independent Board of Directors comprising of 15 members appointed by external Appointers: the City of Edmonton and five regional municipalities (City of Leduc, Leduc County, Parkland County, Strathcona County, Sturgeon County) and the federal government. The Board can also appoint 2 at-large Directors to fill required skill sets.
Working as part of a high functioning governance team and reporting to the General Counsel and Governance Officer, the Board Secretary is responsible for the day to day operations of the Board office. This person provides direct support to the Board Chair and Board Committee Chairs, and will also provide administrative support to the Legal and Risk departments.
This position is overall responsible for the coordination required for the Board of Directors, which includes scheduling of meetings and events, drafting documentation such as agendas and meeting minutes and preparing packages, presentations and budgets. You will also work closely with the Legal department in document preparation and drafting of communications, leading the records management compliance and providing overall support as required.
- Provide support to the Governance Officer and the Board of Directors by scheduling and coordinating all Board and Board Committee meetings and events
- Preparing draft Board and Board Committee agendas for review by the President and CEO, Governance Officer, Board Chair and Board Committee Chairs
- Distributing agendas and information, including appropriate notice of all meetings
- Preparing reports to the Board
- Preparing and maintaining board information packages for all Board and Board Committee meetings
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings with Appointers
- Overseeing and maintaining the Board Calendar of Events and leading all communications between Board members and the President and CEO regarding changes to the Board Calendar of Events
- Preparing minutes of the proceedings
- Ensuring that the minutes are maintained and distributed to the Board, President and CEO and member of the Executive Management Team as required and that all edits are made to the minutes and tracked for consistency
- Tracking and ensuring timely completion of action items arising from Board and Board Committee meetings
- Coordinating the information flow between the Board and Executive Management
- Preparing and monitoring the Board budget
- Maintaining and updating the Board portal and all information therein
- Recording director attendance at all Board and Board Committee meetings and preparing quarterly summaries for annual reporting and compensation purposes
- Researching projects as assigned by the Board and/or the Governance Officer on governance and other Board-related matters
- Liaising with the President and CEO, Governance Officer, and other members of Executive Management as required
- Assisting with the administration of the annual Board and President and CEO evaluation processes
- Assisting in the development of governance documents, policies and procedures for the Board of Directors
- Providing administrative support to the Legal Department
- Relieving the General Counsel & amp; Corporate Secretary of administrative details on projects as required
- Assisting the Paralegal in coordinating, prioritizing and managing workflow through the Legal Department when requested
- Drafting correspondence
- Providing support to determine and achieve how the Legal Department supports the organizations core values and SBU strategic goals and objectives
- Calendar and time management for Legal Department counsel
- Coordinating all travel arrangements for the Legal Department
- Assisting in the preparation of an annual Legal Department budgets
- Maintaining expenditure tracking and variance reports
- Advising the General Counsel of potential forecast problems
- Reconciliation of legal fees database with legal invoices to ensure that amounts charged relate to the matter instructions, purchase orders are cut and the proper coding is applied, including coordination with other SBUs on correct allocation and coding
- Providing support to the Paralegal in arranging meetings and negotiations with external stakeholders, drafting applicable legal documentation and communications in relation to highly confidential issues relating to excluded employees and sensitive union issues; including those relating to union members when requested
- Providing support to the Legal Department pertaining to records management and information governance policies and procedures
- Lead the Legal Departments document management compliance and operate as the Legal Departments main point of contact for document management efforts of the organization
- 7+ years of experience working in corporate governance, with strong knowledge and solid understanding of Board processes and due diligence requirements
- Exudes confidentiality at all times
- Experienced with Board governance structure and models
- Efficient in various databases (i.e. Word, Excel, Visio, Adobe, BoardVantage) & database administration skills
- Administrator level working knowledge of Board portal software
- Ability to produce accurate and comprehensive material
- Ability to prioritize and organize work and workload
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to synthesize discussion and capture issues and action items for minutes
- Familiar with budgeting procedures
- Ability to work independently and display decision making skills
We thank all interested applicants. Please note that only those applicants who meet the qualifications and requirements will be contacted.
Lotus Group provides Elevated Search, Recruitment and Human Resource services across Canada. With established client and talent networks spanning coast to coast, we know that employees are the power that fuel excellent organizations. Lotus group is dedicated to being Canada's most trusted provider of Elevated People Solutions.
For more information, visit www.lotus-group.ca.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00-$81,500.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
Work Location: In person