Director of Skiing
The Rental & Repair Supervisor is responsible for managing the Rental & Repair Department, as well as the Marmot Basin Town Store. They are responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Rental and Repair shop and the Marmot Sales Centre, reporting any problems to the Director of skiing or other appropriate managers/supervisors. Must be able to assist with delivering correct rental equipment, repairing customer and staff skis/snowboards in the repair shop, overseeing the payment centre for all transactions, and assisting the town store employees when needed.
This is a full-time, seasonal role from October to May 5/7 days a week with the possibility of more, depending on staffing.
Alberta Employment Standards regarding probationary periods apply.
- Organize schedules for the Rental and Repair Shop and Town Store to make sure there is enough staff for weekends, holidays, and large group bookings. Scheduling around requested days off for staff in all locations. Organizing the break schedule for all locations daily.
- Completing payroll, termination of employees, and position change requests through Dayforce.
- Organize training of all staff members in the Rental Shop, Repair Shop, Town Store, Rental Desk, and Snow School. Ensure all training requirements are met for all departments.
- Create and maintain a High-Performance equipment guide to aid staff in training and in providing accurate information to guest on what is the best ski for them.
- Provide informal feedback and coaching to staff on an ongoing basis. To Ensure their mental and physical well-being of all staff rental attendants, repair technicians, sales associates, and town store staff.
- Enforce company policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ensure all health and safety protocol is followed and maintained, including:
- Sanitizing and disinfecting all high touch areas using a cleaning checklist so that all areas are covered.
- WHIMS and SDS is up to date and in keeping with company policies.
- Ensure PPE is maintained and worn when necessary.
- In event of emergencies (power outage, hill closure, network down) keep communication going between staff and all departments, particularly, Rental and Repairs, Snow School Desk and Town Store. Know procedures to follow and keep all staff focused.
- Organization of the Marmot Basin Town Store (scheduling, stocking retail items, MEC’s, Sunshine Super Cards, cleaning products, and general stationary). Coordinate with staff in the Town Store, Retail and Guest services to make sure the Town Store is well stocked.
- Receive guest complaints regarding the Rental and Repair shop, Town Store and when applicable Snow School Desk, provide solutions to disgruntled customer to make sure they have a positive experience at Marmot Basin.
- Apply RTP Knowledge and solving any problems that may arise, as well as assessing situations with customers and giving refunds when necessary. Escalate any issues to Support when needed.
- Problem solves any issues with Inntopia, giving refunds, pushing orders through, and generally helping customers navigate website.
- Handle cash, credit card, and debit transactions while using RTP.
- Sell window tickets, Marmot Basin Escape Cards, and apply discounts where required.
- Review and validate all Rentals Department Sales Associates cash-outs. Identify and communicate necessary corrections.
- Register Marmot Basin Escape Cards purchased from other businesses and properly bill the appropriate business.
- Regularly check Open orders or out of balance orders through RTP reporting. And problem solve any issues with why those orders are still open or out of balance.
- Answer emails and accept phone calls regarding internal communication, customer questions, and booking rental reservations.
- Make orders of equipment for the following season. Making sure to order enough of each type to accommodate our busy peak periods. Get recommendations from suppliers to make sure we order the best equipment for our mountain.
- Count inventory and properly retire equipment when required, replacing when needed.
- Keeping all areas of the shop stocked, making orders when appropriate:
- Waiver forms for rental shop
- Chemicals for cleaning and disinfecting
- Epoxy, p-tex, wax, and other products to keep the repair shop operating
- Assist in the repair shop:
- Ensure bookings are taken and customers equipment is returned in a timely manner and to a high standard.
- Maintain machines to a high standard, and if there are issues, problem solve to find solutions and be in touch with Wintersteiger rep to maintain machines.
- Making quick solutions to customer’s equipment so they can enjoy the mountain.
- Mitigate hazards and risks within the repair shop.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the repair shop.
- Visually check the standard rental fleet for damaged skis and/or snowboards and set aside for repairs when needed.
- Assist in the calibration of fleet skis according to the standards set out by ski companies.
- Ensure Rental reservations are set up for following day.
- Ensure Returns process runs smoothly and efficiently, with guests charged any extra fees applicable.
- Apply extensive knowledge of ski and snowboard equipment to sell previous season’s gear, correctly fill out a bill of sale for the equipment, and ensure items are taken out of the inventory.
- Assist with any issues that arise at the snow school desk booking and provide general information to customers.
- Develop relationships with third-party companies and be able to create bookings on their behalf (Destination bookings).
- Coordinate with groups sales for anyone needing rentals.
- Check group booking forms prior to set up to guarantee we have all information needed for every renter.
- Facilitate checking we have all the necessary equipment and finding a contingency plan when not.
- Coordinate with group sales locations for boot fitting when the number or sizes of groups are too large for the space we have.
- Ensure all renters are set up and processed in an efficient and timely manner.
- Help customers with renting lockers, problem solving any errors and coming up with appropriate solutions to get the guest out on the snow.
- Respect and adhere to the company’s policies and procedures as set in the “Corporate Policies”, “Employee Handbook”, and “Safety Operations Training Manuals”.
- Relatable post-secondary education related to tourism, guest services, etc is an asset.
- Previous supervisory experience is an asset.
- Proven guest services experience.
- Previous cash handling, debit and credit transaction, and payment experience.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Business/Finance experience is an asset.
- Rental Shop, Repair Shop experience is an asset.
- Ski and/or Snowboard teaching experience/qualifications is an asset.
- Data management software experience.
- Experience in a related industry preferred.
- Excellent organizational and cleanliness skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure during busy and potentially stressful periods.
- Ability to remain calm and poised in urgent situations.
- Leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Analytical and quick problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, RTP, Dayforce)
- Correct money-handling skills.
- Professional attitude with excellent customer service skills: experience dealing with on-hill patrons.
- Strong team member able to take direction.
- Willingness to learn from mistakes and take constructive criticism from supervisors.
- Motivated and observant; able to perceive needed tasks and complete them without direction.
- Self-aware; able to identify strengths and gaps in own abilities and training.
- Able to use taught skills and previous experience to problem solve.
- Interest in recreational mountain pursuits such as: hiking, skiing/snowboarding, are considered assets.
- Knowledge of the National Parks system and Jasper itself is considered an asset.