The Royal Conservatory (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, and teacher certification. It is also a leader in the development of early childhood education programs and arts-based social programs, and presents a diverse range of concerts featuring the finest Canadian and international artists in its magnificent performance space, Koerner Hall. Please visit www.rcmusic.com for more information.
Reporting to the Manager, Student Services of the Oscar Peterson School of Music, the Camp Counsellor provides leadership and delivers excellent music programming to ensure the camp experience at the Oscar Peterson School of Music meets the expectations of participants and the high program values of the department.
This role supports instructors, works with volunteers, and facilitates music programming and activities to provide a positive summer camp experience for all participants.
*Please note that this is a fixed-term opportunity for approximately 8 weeks*
- Attending camp staff training and meetings.
- Planning active programming for Extended Care (extended supervision post-camp until 6:00PM) and lunch times.
- Assisting with the planning of special music camp activities.
- Mentoring 1-2 volunteers per camp.
- Providing leadership opportunities for volunteers within specific area of programming.
- Providing Camp Coordinators with regular feedback on the performance of volunteers.
- Providing a fun, safe, and meaningful program for children aged 4-8.
- Planning, developing, leading, and evaluating a variety of programs and activities.
- Providing camp information to participants and parents/guardians.
- Assisting with sign-in and sign-out procedures.
- Assisting with the delivery of special camp activities (e.g., concerts, etc.)
- Taking initiative to support participants’ educational and social experiences throughout the day.
- Performing other duties as required.
- This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs, which requires that the incumbent must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be between 15-30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Experience leading programming for youth, preferably in an arts, recreation, or camp setting.
- Experience providing childcare for children as young as 4 years, preferably in a camp setting.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Approachable demeanor with the ability to command authority.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Interest in music, education, and youth programming.
- Post-secondary studies, or planned studies, in music, music education, teaching, social work, or recreation would support success in this role.
- Experience volunteering or in volunteer coordination is an asset.
- Basic understanding of music education is an asset.
- Regular working hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30AM – 4:30PM.
- A Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a current résumé online at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been identified.
The RCM is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the RCM’s Anti-Racism, Access and Equity Policy, accommodation will be provided at any stage of in the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known when they have been contacted for an interview.
The RCM would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for next steps will be contacted.