The Mechanical Design Engineer is an excellent opportunity to grow your skills with the potential opportunity to grow further with Emerson– Appleton Group Canada! Based in our Elmira, ON location, as a part of our Heating Cables Systems Engineering Team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager - Product Engineering, you will be responsible for supporting the design, certification and testing of accessories, controls, heating cable products and associated literature, packaging, and connection kits.
AS A MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER, YOU WILL:
- Design components for heating cable sets and associated controls, connection kits, packaging, etc.
- Work with various 3rd party certification agencies to ensure safety of designs are acceptable in the industry in a timely manner.
- Propose cost savings projects and work to implement as required.
- Test products using lab facilities and outdoor test set-ups to validate design operation and review reports.
- Lead in the development of appropriate metallic and plastic housings for products.
- Review existing drawings and develop new ones as necessary to ensure product design is fully detailed.
- Communicate with Sales, Marketing and Manufacturing, to mature new product designs.
- Work with Manufacturing to optimize design for production.
- Communicate and troubleshoot issues with vendors
- Create BOM’s and conduct cost analysis for product assemblies
- Participate in development of packaging for products
- Develop and improve installation instructions and owner’s manuals.
- Ability to travel to manufacturing or vendor locations in Mexico or USA as required. (15% travel)
- Visit installation sites to review operation of products, liaise with customers as requested.
WHO YOU ARE:
You acquire data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems and evaluate pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options. You follow through on commitments and makes sure others do the same; and take personal responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results. You work cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives, facilitating an open dialogue with a wide variety of contributors and stakeholders. You consult with a wide network of internal and external connections. You seek ways to improve processes, from small tweaks to complete reengineering; rely on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment when making decisions; and identify opportunities that benefit the customer.
REQUIRED Education, Experience & Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience/knowledge
- 3+ years of relevant experience in product design
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Excellent 3D solid modeling experience.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, as well as a strong attention to detail with high level of accuracy and a commitment to follow-up.
- Ability to work independently to strict deadlines and manage competing priorities and fluctuating workloads.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills combined with excellent interpersonal skills to relate effectively to people both internally and externally
- A collaborator and team builder that gets results
- Must be able to travel to the USA and Mexico.
- Legal authorization to work in Canada – sponsorship will not be provided for this position.
PREFERRED Education, Experience & Skills
- Professional Engineering License is an asset
- Product design experience with injection molded products.
- Knowledge of polymers/extrusion techniques and some familiarity with 3rd party certification approvals, especially UL, CSA and ATEX/IECEx is an asset.
- Familiarity with electrical and mechanical engineering, heat transfer, product testing, IEC standards, building codes for Canada and USA is preferred
- Experience with Autodesk Inventor and FEA is an asset.
Our Commitment to Our People
At Emerson, we are motivated by a spirit of collaboration that helps our diverse, multicultural teams across the world drive innovation that makes the world healthier, safer, smarter, and more sustainable. And we want you to join us in our bold aspiration.
We have built an engaged community of inquisitive, dedicated people who thrive knowing they are welcomed, trusted, celebrated, and empowered to solve the world’s most complex problems — for our customers, our communities, and the planet. You’ll contribute to this vital work while further developing your skills through our award-winning employee development programs. We are a proud corporate citizen in every city where we operate and are committed to our people, our communities, and the world at large. We take this responsibility seriously and strive to make a positive impact through every endeavor.
At Emerson, you’ll see firsthand that our people are at the center of everything we do. So, let’s go. Let’s think differently. Learn, collaborate, and grow. Seek opportunity. Push boundaries. Be empowered to make things better. Speed up to break through. Let’s go, together.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply including women, Aboriginal Peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are available at all stages of recruitment, selection, and employment.
Accessibility Assistance or Accommodation
If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources or [email protected] to make appropriate arrangements.
Emerson is a global leader in automation technology and software. Through our deep domain expertise and legacy of flawless execution, Emerson helps customers in critical industries like life sciences, energy, power and renewables, chemical and advanced factory automation operate more sustainably while improving productivity, energy security and reliability.
With global operations and a comprehensive portfolio of software and technology, we are helping companies implement digital transformation to measurably improve their operations, conserve valuable resources and enhance their safety.
We offer equitable opportunities, celebrate diversity, and embrace challenges with confidence that, together, we can make an impact across a broad spectrum of countries and industries. Whether you’re an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring possibilities, or a recent graduate with an advanced degree, you’ll find your chance to make a difference with Emerson. Join our team – let’s go!
No calls or agencies please.