We're seeking a Data Developer to join our Team!
About the role:
The Data team plays a crucial role in enhancing the company's data capabilities. They are responsible for developing and maintaining the infrastructure, systems, and tools necessary for sourcing and organizing all the company's data assets, ensuring these data assets are readily available to all stakeholders who require them.
As a Data Developer at PayByPhone, you'll bring your creative and curious spirit to help lead technological innovation. Our talented and passionate team values learning and fun as we work to make parking easy and secure for millions of global consumers.
Here's what you'll do:
Build, maintain, and test data pipelines to take data from various data stores (e.g.Oracle, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, unstructured data, internal and external sources) through to our data marts/warehouses contained in Snowflake DB.
- Contribute to and implement the design and architecture of our data pipelines, data storage, and data collection platforms.
- Help build up data competence within the company, collaborating with other technical teams to define and standardize data governance practices.
- Collaborate with other members of the Data Platform team to build expertise through mentorship, training sessions, code review etc.
- Work with other teams (e.g., product managers, business teams) to support business analytics requirements and data-related needs of product and feature launches.
- Participate in both maintenance and new feature development.
- Participate in deployment and operation of the team’s services, helping to investigate unexpected behaviour and restore service during production incidents.
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation.
- You must maintain a personal data plan to fulfill your responsibilities for on-call support.
- 3+ years of experience in a data-related/technical field: e.g. software development, data platform development, data warehousing, business intelligence, and/or data science.
- Able to write small applications, services, or utilities using an object-oriented language (C#, Python).
- Solid, demonstrable knowledge of relational databases and querying using SQL.
- Experience implementing ETL processes.
- Familiar with using version control, working in a CICD environment.
- Able to write clear documentation for teaching, and reference purposes.
- Able to assist new hires with routine/best practices and help them succeed in the team and their new roles.
- Excellent understanding of software development best practices.
- Able to write clear documentation for teaching and reference purposes.
- Proficient with cloud platforms like AWS/Azure/GCP.
- Experience using GIT for version control.
- Comfortable working in an Agile development environment using processes like Kanban or Scrum.
- Happy and productive working in both self-directed and collaborative dynamics.
- You are a mentor - providing guidance and leadership and are invested in the growth of your team.
- You are curious - eager to suggest and test new ideas for using data in innovative ways, you understand that failing is part of the learning process. You keep up with new technologies and find ways to improve the status quo.
The nice to haves:
Bachelor's or higher degree in Computer Science, Data Science or other technical field.
- Experience using one or more big data technologies (e.g. Hive, Spark, Presto) would be an asset.
- Experience implementing ETL processes with Terraform, Docker, Snowflake, and Airflow is a substantial asset.
- Experience with containerized applications using Docker, and container orchestration tools (e.g Kubernetes, ECS).
- Experience with the Atlassian suite of tools - specifically Jira.
- Experience with C# and .net core.
- Experience using a variety of AWS cloud services.
- Experience with requirements gathering and translating technical requirements to non-technical stakeholders.
Success in this role looks like:
Able to quickly take up delivery and documentation tasks on the Data Platform team.
- Within the first few months have established an area of expertise in the data platform and be able to help build and maintain solutions in that area.
- Contribute to the future design of the data platform through participation and collaboration.
- Work with the team to develop and uphold coding standards, creating thorough documentation along the way.
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation, but since you build robust software this does not disrupt your work-life balance.
Here at PayByPhone, our strength is in our people: a talented team behind a fantastic product. We are a creative, ambitious and driven multi-disciplinary group. We value learning and fun as we innovate to help millions of consumers pay for parking easily and securely. Our teams are growing; but not without you.
Together, we’re on a mission to simplify the world of mobility payments – one parking spot at a time. We’re one of the fastest-growing mobile payment companies in the world and process over 100 million parking, transit, and bike-share transactions a year in cities across North America, Europe and Australia. Our teams help millions of consumers easily and securely pay for parking and transportation without the hassles of waiting in line, carrying change, or risking costly fines.
PayByPhone is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated equally. The Company does not tolerate discrimination or harassment in the workplace or talent attraction processes. Our commitment is to attract and acquire talent that are representative of the talent market, and are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
At PayByPhone, we operate in a constantly evolving world. With change being a long-time friend of ours, we have our values to guide how we work as a team to deliver on our commitments. In short, we:
Make things happen
See through our customers’ eyes
To see our values in action, explore our Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and our Careers page. If you’re interested in reading the story behind our values, head on over to our About Us page.