Are you interested in applying your technology skills for the public good? We are looking for a smart, passionate, and purpose-driven individual to join our team. Cybera is a not-for-profit agency whose mission is to improve the lives of Albertans through the use and advancement of technology, digital literacy, and digital best practices. We serve the province’s education, enterprise, research and government sectors.
Cybera is looking for a Senior System Administrator interested in working on managing OpenStack environments, and help steward a public cloud migration of an application. With a strong emphasis on learning and teamwork, we are looking for someone keen on working alongside us to help create a connected future for all Albertans.
If you eat and breathe technology and are a team player that thrives in a dynamic, exciting environment, please introduce yourself!
We will ask you to:
- Work within a team environment, but able to work independently
- Learn, document, and share new knowledge and skills with your team.
- Debug complex problems and share your approach, findings with your team.
- Review repeating issues and problems, suggest fixes, and work with your team to implement improvements.
- Encourage constant review and improvement of processes.
- Provide architectural decisions affecting service delivery, scalability, and disaster recovery.
- Build trust between partners and colleagues.
- Document servers and services, create tickets and log issues
- Ensure documentation exists for your areas of responsibility.
- Ensure an up-to-date inventory exists of equipment that you are responsible for.
- Ensure all issues and solutions are logged and followed through with.
- Perform day-to-day system administration tasks for projects and users
- Plan, create, and maintain compute infrastructure.
- Provide support to internal and external users for issues they encounter with services provided by Cybera.
- Be part of a compensated on-call rotation for applicable projects you are part of.
- Act as a Technical Lead for long-term projects
- Understand the direction of the project and make technical decisions accordingly.
- Budget, plan, and purchase equipment for the project.
- Maintain relationships with the external stakeholders of the project.
- Delegate tasks and mentor systems administrators of the project.
Your professional tool-kit should be well stocked with:
- Expert understanding of Linux and virtualization
- Expert troubleshooting skills with both hardware and software
- Excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Scripting languages which includes shell scripting as well as one higher level language such as Python
- Monitoring and metering concepts and experience with one or more popular monitoring and metering services
- Relational Databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Cloud Platforms such as OpenStack, AWS, and Azure
- Configuration Management Systems such as Puppet and Ansible
- Application Architecture Basics
Some of the technologies you will encounter include:
- Python, Go
- Nagios, Sensu, Graphite, and Prometheus
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- AWS, Azure, OpenStack
- Puppet, Ansible
These requirements represent an ideal candidate. The potential of the individual’s background and experience to meet the responsibilities and expectations of the role is considered in all instances.
Compensation and Location:
This position is based in either our Calgary or Edmonton office. Salary will be commensurate with experience. No relocation costs will be awarded.
Benefits of working at Cybera:
This is your opportunity to work for a flexible, tech-forward company that is helping Canada become a more equitable place to work, learn, and play! We offer:
- A hybrid working environment, with flexible hours.
- Highly supportive and inclusive work culture.
- 35 hour work weeks, except in July and August where we work 32 hour work weeks and have every Friday off.
- Health & Vision benefits from day 1
- Long & Short term disability benefits from day 1
- Flexible Health Spending Account (after successful probation)
- $1,500+ annually for your professional development
- Regular Lunch & Learns - from department updates to EDI topics
- Internal Mentorship program
- Matching RRSP program (after successful probation)
- Healthy snacks in the office - and sometimes unhealthy snacks
- 5 days per year to use for sick time or mental health days
- The opportunity to invest in yourself and your career.
How to Apply:
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Your application should include a cover letter sharing how your skill-set matches the position requirements (of course we don't expect you to have them all!) While we appreciate all applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or recruiter assistance at this time, please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income or family status of that person or of any other person.
Number of hires for this role: 1